Does anyone see a problem with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killercal

Reaction score
I’ve just finished mashing and pitched some German ale yeast slurry that was in my fridge from a batch I finished fermenting back in February. I used the Mr.Malty calculator and it said to use 230ml of slurry, but I only had roughly 75ml of slurry. I figured I’d try it out as I didn’t have any other yeast on hand. I pitched this 2 days ago and it seems to be fermenting (air lock bubbling). Can anyone see any issues I might run into following this method?

A second question, I have a ton of hops in the bottom of my fermenter (I was testing out a new metal screen to filter out the hops but didn’t work) and was wondering if it was possible to be able to get the yeast out of my fermenter without the hop debris?

Thanks

No problem. There's always an optimal amount, but yeast will grow to fill the gap.

Search for 'yeast washing'.

The possible drawbacks of underpitching are a higher ester rate, a lack of attenuation, a greater chance of other infections taking hold while the yeast gets up to speed, and other off flavors produced by stressed out or mutated yeasted.

In general, it'll probably just won't be quite as "clean" as it otherwise would have been, but it will probably be fine.

wendelgee2 said it -- there are some risks, but your beer should be fine.

You'll definitely want to look at washing the yeast, which will separate out the yeast from the other stuff in the trub. Very easy and very productive.

Back