does anyone know of a good ale recipe for a tight budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabeast

Reaction score
I have a tight budget and I'm trying to make a easy drinking session beer for football.
Does anyone have a good recipe for me I'm going to my LHBS tonight. Any and all recipes would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Dan

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale is fairly cheap to make.

Otherwise, go for a Mild or a Bitter. Any of those low-gravity, low-hopped beers will be fairly cheap.

You could do a SMaSH, but for a $2-$3 more you could add some C40, and for a few bucks more you could do different bittering and aroma hops (mine only come in 2oz packages, so I end up with leftovers if I'm using more than one type of hops).

75% 2-row (or 6-row)
15% corn grits
10% minute rice

An ounce of Hallertau at the start of the boil (or better yet, use Magnum and use even less!). Ferment cool with your favourite cheap dry yeast. Replace the minute rice with sugar if you want to be even cheaper.

One of my best brews was a SMaSH of 8.5 lbs of 2 row and roughly 3/4 of an ounce of Saaz at 60 mins for about 18-20 IBU and the other 1/4 oz at knockout for aroma. Ferment with 1 packet of S-05 and you've got a nice "lawnmower" / "football" beer for about 10 bucks plus 4.5 hours of your time.

Back