Does anyone know how the rubber top attaches to a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just cleaning a keg, and I noticed that the (black in this case) rubber piece at the top is complete detached around the front part (where the keg posts are). The back part, which includes the two rubber handles, still seems to be well attached.

I was wondering if anyone know how these tops are attached, and if there is a concern about the entire top coming off. I lift full kegs in and out of my keezer by these top handles, and I don't want one coming off in the middle of that!

Thanks as always for the great help!

I had a loose one, used Gorilla Glue to fix it back to the keg and it has been fine since. No sign of it coming loose again, even with lifting a full keg.

I had a top that was completely off. I put construction adhesive I had left over from work under the lid, filled the keg and left it upside down for the night. Worked like a champ and 2 years later still good.

So basically you're saying the rubber pieces (I assume the bottom one as well) are just attached to the keg with some type of adhesive? I was hoping that maybe the handle portion, at least, is somehow integrated into the metal of the keg, but it doesn't sound like it is.

I'll try some Gorilla Glue or construction adhesive, and I'll check my other kegs as I cycle through them.

Thanks for the help!

I had a top that was completely off. I put construction adhesive I had left over from work under the lid, filled the keg and left it upside down for the night. Worked like a champ and 2 years later still good.

Same. Mine sat a little uneven after this, but it's staying put, which is good enough for me.

Back