Does anyone have any experience with Brew House kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
I’m hearing that the kits requires a very large fermenter of about 7-10 imperial gallons (can’t find any info on their website to confirm this). I’d like to give one to my dad for a present to get him started (think baby steps here) and I`ve got a spare fermenter that`s the standard 6.5 gallon size, but would this be too small for this type of kit?

6.5 gal (30L) bucket is what I use with the kits, but I still have to use a blow-off tube into a container of sanitized water instead of a regular air lock . Using the supplied Coopers yeast will give quite the explosive fermentation and will come out the air lock making a nice smell in the room but a sticky mess too.:)

I've brewed 3 kits from the Brew House and all 3 of them called for a 6.5 gallon pail. I don't own a 6.5, but a 5 gallon. I followed the instructions to the 'T' and my first kit (Red Ale) went over well, my second kit (Munich Dark Lager) well, let's say things got a little messy! My third kit (Pilsner) is in the primary right now, and I have a buddy who suggested I put less water in the primary seeing I only have the 5 gallon bucket to begin with. So I added half the water they asked for, and I sampled a bit of it yesterday (it's been 2 weeks in the primary so far) and it tastes delicious so far!
Check out this link http://www.thebrewhouse.com/resource_center/advanced_techniques.htm and look under "Adjusting the Level of Fermentable Extract" I found this very helpful for my situation and it might help yours!

Back