Does anyone have a pic of their Witbier fermenting???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I wanted to see if my krauzen looked normal.

I used White labs WLP 400

This is my first time using liquid yeast, making a starter, and having a clear carboy, so if someone has a pic I could use for comparison and reference I would really appreciate it. Thanks

:mug:

Even if someone did, I doubt it would look like yours. I say post a picture of your krausen and we'll tell you to calm down. :)

Without even seeing it, I'm going to say it's normal.

Don't be surprised if you see a persistent layer of thick yeast floating on the surface, looking much like Bisquick even after the foamy krausen has fallen. WLP400 acts very strangely at times.

This was one of my wits before I realized that the belgian yeast has a habit of beaching itself on the fermenter wall...so much so, that fermentation slows to hardly anything.

Now I make a habit of rocking the carboy to knock it back down into solution to restart fermentation.

Notice my bewilderment at the slow fermentation. :D

Belgian_Slow_Ferm.JPG

This is a Belgian Honey Wit, used the Trappist (WL500). I never use starters with the WL pitchables. This is after about 3 weeks.......the krausen has already dropped.

pitf_ale1.jpg

pitf_ale2.jpg

I say post a picture of your krausen and we'll tell you to calm down. :)

lol...Im not really freaking out, but point well taken. Im over my first couple batches feeling of "My life is riding on this one" My krauzen actually looks pretty normal I think. Just looking for a point of reference, I couldnt find anything good with a google search.

Looking at mine again, it has a bit of soap scumy looking film that no one lese seems to have. I think it might be b/c I used a bunch of fresh orange peel zest though. Thanks to those kind enough to post pics

Wow. That's a lot of recording of gravity there! Taking samples after 3 days seems a little impatient.

You know, I did one just for kicks the other month and it had finished fermentation by day three, so two full days of fermenting and that half day when I pitched. Sure I knew that I needed to leave it in order to clean up any strange flavors, but I was shocked to see that it went through it so quickly.

I don't have a picture, but it looks like a big foamy pile of baby **** on top of your wort, smells like someone puked on a rotten orange, and tastes like sulfur water smells. Then, magically, when you hit FG it smells delicious, and tastes even better. WLP400 is a very odd beast.

Back