Does anyone have a good earl grey mead recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hennyroux

Reaction score
Hey there!
I’m extremely interested in making an earl grey mead next! Looking to do 5 gallons can convert if you have a smaller recipe :) if you have any advice from your earl grey mead that would be great too! Looking forward to hearing back from you guys!
Eagerly awaiting,
Henny

I've made tea mead with chamomile and blue lotus before so I dont see why it wouldn't work with eral grey with a few modifications.

Follow any regular hydromel recipe just sub the water for tea. I would not add any tannins as black tea has plenty already, and I would only use half as much acid if any at all, added at the end to taste. With earl grey you don't want to steep for more than five minutes as well. I would also add a couple tea bags to the mead during secondary fermentation for extra flavor. Good luck!

Hey there!
I’m extremely interested in making an earl grey mead next! Looking to do 5 gallons can convert if you have a smaller recipe :) if you have any advice from your earl grey mead that would be great too! Looking forward to hearing back from you guys!
Eagerly awaiting,
Henny

Thinking of starting a tea mead soon and was wondering if you found/made a recipe to try or not. What are you looking for in a recipe? ABV, with/without nutrients and chemicals, simple or complex recipe? Just curious and rather interested in the idea, recently took an interest in tea and am trying as many different styles and kinds as I can find. Think it would be great in mead and add new things to some other recipes I've made.

Not had a great deal of experience in using tea as the substrate for a wine or mead but I would make tea to the strength you enjoy the tea and simply add enough honey (for a mead) or sugar (for a wine) to raise the gravity to about 1.090 (about 12% ABV). You want the mead /wine to have a TA of about 6g/L so you may want to check this and add some acidity if the TA is too low: you want the mead to be bright and crisp. If you make a volume of delightfully drinkable tea you may also want to bench test this to see if it may need some more tannin. Allowing the tea to steep for longer than you would under tea drinking conditions will extract more tannin but if the volume you make is steeped for five minutes or so then the tannin extraction will perhaps be fine for tea but a little thin for a mead or a wine.
Last point: my limited experience with tea wines suggests that you may want to consider back sweetening this mead. Best approach is to bench test but a fairly reasonable working assumption is to use a hefty 1/4 C of honey /gallon of mead dissolved in water - to raise the final gravity by about 10 points.

That's exactly what I was planning, also getting started with tea in fermentation, start small and you can add more later if it's to light.

i like to make the tea stronger than i like to drink normally. you do tend to lose a bit of flavor during primary.

I saw a recipe in the mead recipe section of this board that has EG tea in it. Not sure if that's what you're after but it's near the top from someone in AZ I think.

Back