Does anyone else get this reaction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
When people find out I brew, or when I tell them, a lot of them immediately ask me if I'm an alcoholic. Some joking, and some not.

Does anyone else get this? It personally pisses me off a little. Just because I enjoy beer does not mean I'm an out of control addict. I tell them that I drink beer for the flavor and aroma and not the alcohols effect. Then most of them proceed to show their lack of knowledge of beer by saying all beer is gross. Thats when I want to punch them lol.

I get the question... what type of canned kit do you use... John Bull or Morgans, and how much sugar do you use in it.

I set them straight fast and they say Wow, you do all that? For beer?

They just don't get it.

When people find out I brew, or when I tell them, a lot of them immediately ask me if I'm an alcoholic. Some joking, and some not.

Does anyone else get this? It personally pisses me off a little. Just because I enjoy beer does not mean I'm an out of control addict. I tell them that I drink beer for the flavor and aroma and not the alcohols effect. Then most of them proceed to show their lack of knowledge of beer by saying all beer is gross. Thats when I want to punch them lol.

I can't say I've EVER gotten that reaction, but I've only been brewing for 9 mos.

However, that would irk me as well.

I get the "do you sell it" question. The way I respond is that its like baking bread, something else I like to do - there are commercial bakeries and people who bake at home, the two things are completely separate.

Tell them that alcoholics would never go to all the trouble and time to make beer. Alcoholics buy a 24-pack for $18. Then ask them that; since they are not a homebrewer, if they are an alcoholic.

No, but anytime I mention anything remotely related to alcohol, my neighbor reminds me that he is a Christian. :confused:

I've heard it at least 50 times in less than 3 years. I am about to start throwing my empties over the fence into his pool.

Ya I have gotten that plenty of times now. Then I have to actually explain to them that since I started brewing I find that I drink less. Well that only leads to trying to explain to them how you enjoy the taste of beer and don't just drink it to get drunk. When I was 16 I drank beer to get drunk, when I turned 21 I started to learn to enjoy beer, now that I am ancient, I have learned to brew it and enjoy it all the more.

No, but anytime I mention anything remotely related to alcohol, my neighbor reminds me that he is a Christian. :confused:

I've heard it at least 50 times in less than 3 years. I am about to start throwing my empties over the fence into his pool.

So what? I'm a christian! I know plenty of Christians who have no problem with moderate drinking. Although most of them understand that God doesn't want you being all stupid when you get drunk.

I think your neighbor is just one of them there "uppity" Christians. :mug:

And I've had a few people ask me if I am going to start a brewery or sell my beer. Some ask how I make it, or how long it takes. Some say they've always wanted to do it themselves.

I've never been accused of being an alcoholic. But I'm going to remember that bit about non homebrewers being alcoholic! Good one.

I have only been angry about comments made once. One of my brew clubs is about 1.5 hours away, so I usually pack up the kids and the wife and they visit my wife's aunt and cousins. My wife dropped me off and when she got to the aunt's house, the aunt asked MY DAUGHTER (2 yo) if daddy was out getting drunk.

I am already trying to be a good role model and teaching moderation to my daughter. I rarely get drunk (1 time a year or so) as I really hate hangovers. The aunt thinks that beer is a "low class" drink and thinks people only drink it to get drunk. I tried explaining it to her, comparing it to wine. Because she doesn't like beer, she told me I'm full of it.

All this coming from a bitter 'ol betty who pounds a bottle and a half of wine a night.:drunk:

Life's to short to be angry, so I'm not anymore. Helps that we're about to move 2,100 miles away...:mug:

Tell them that alcoholics would never go to all the trouble and time to make beer. Alcoholics buy a 24-pack for $18. Then ask them that; since they are not a homebrewer, if they are an alcoholic.

I WILL use that next time I get accused LOL. Thanks!

SpanishCastleAle said:

Yes, this!

So what? I'm a christian! I know plenty of Christians who have no problem with moderate drinking. .

Yeh, I told him that once and he proceeded to give me a 25 minute explanation (in his opinion) that I wasn't really. I swear, if it weren't that I need my bottles for refilling, my empties would be dumped in his yard.:mug:

Back