Does Anyone Else Drink Straight From Their Bottling Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBrewDad

Reaction score
Is it wrong to drink the last 1/2 a beer or so that remains in your bottling bucket directly from the bucket? As I gulped down the remnants of my latest beer last night I realized it would probably look pretty bad if SWMBO or my daughter walked in to see me tipping back a vessel of that size.

Not exactly the same, but similar. When kegging from primary I always siphon off a glass of uncarbonated beer to drink.

For, um, "quality control" purposes. Yeah, that's it.

I don't like drinking that because of the sugar.

Mine goes into a12oz bottle via funnel with a pinch of extra sugar (based on headspace). It's the first one I drink due to fear of oxidation.

I would love to see a photo of someone drinking 6 ounces of beer out of a 6 gallon bucket!

I do have a mental picture though. LOL!

Have some cooth, man! I always pour the last 1/2 bottle and the hydro sample into a glass. I call it, "Breakfast".

I usually drain the racking cane into a glass to empty it. Of course it's considered sacrilege to waste beer in any form in some parts of the world, like my brew cave :).

My bottling bucket was frequently my primary fermenter before I started exclusively force carbing.

If I tip that up for a big swig, I'll be getting a full meal. And probably an unhealthy amount of gas due to the yeast cake.

I am now having visions of everyone on this forum standing in a bath tub, a bucket with like a cup of beer in it, pouring it on their faces and showering in beer.

I've never drank directly from the bottling bucket, but I do always tip the bottling bucket at an angle so that all of the remaining beer can be siphoned out into bottles. If there is a bottle that cannot be fully filled, I usually do not put a cap on that one and just drink it after I'm done capping all the bottles and putting them away. It's usually only about half a bottle of uncarbonated, room-temperature beer, but I agree that it's better to drink it than to throw it away. It certainly gives me an idea of how the beer will taste after it's been bottle conditioned.

Just bottled a American Ale. Ran out of bottles and filled 3/4 of a growler. Capped it and three it in the fridge. My beer for the night!

Back