Does Anybody Have Norton 360?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I was just wondering who all has this software. I am having trouble getting my updates to complete. It keeps failing. I'm just hoping that this is an issue on Norton's end.

Are any of you having any issues with it right now?:eek:

Nope. Nor would I ever use any of the bloated Norton, McAfee, etc crap. There are many free antivirus and firewall programs out there that are more effective, easier to use, and use less system resources than that load of junk.

My personal favs are AVG-free edtion for virus protection, and ZoneAlarm for firewall. There are others available, though, so feel free to do a little research. Both update seamlessly, without immediately requiring a restart. Unlike either of the versions of Norton or McAfee I have tried.

I highly encourage you to try using a different program suite!

The AVG Free update process is NOT seamless. If it is set to update at some hour before your computer was turned on, it does it immediately on start up instead. The problem there is that it does it as a high priority process and makes the startup lag really bad. This is on a Core2 Duo machine, BTW, and the HD is a 7200rpm SATA, not some ancient 3600rpm IDE lump. Avast! is another free option I've tried and it seemed decent.

But yeah, if your Norton doesn't start conecting on it's own, then it might be time to call that 800 number. They may be able to give you another update server address to punch in if there's more than one. Norton does work, but in a year when your license expires, don't renew it.

Well, I suppose that's true, but I fold on my computer (folding@home, check it out, people), so I leave it on 24/7 and tell it to update at round 6 in the morning. I can guarantee I won't be using the computer then :D. Even during an update, though, it's far less boggy than when Norton loads up...And Norton requires a restart as well. Which drove me absolutely bonkers. :p The easiest solution then would be to set your update time to sometime in the middle of the afternoon/evening/when you know it'll already be on. Problem solved :D.

I too have also heard good things about Avast!.

Meh, I loath norton, it just takes up too many resources and is not as effective as many of the free programs. I personally use AVG and love it. I have had no issue with the auto-update, it takes less than a minute to update completely.

Latest posts

Back