Does anybody brew outside in the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew in the winter all the time. I do notice that it seems like I get more boil off in the winter than I do in the summer, so I keep a close eye on that.

We had a brew last year during a snow storm, so it was nice and cold. The snow really helped with the chilling for sure. A fish tank pump, 2 gallons of water, snow and a 5 gal bucket are all you need. Just recirculate the hot water from the chiller back to the snowy cold water and keep adding the snow. We got our beers chilled in under 10 minutes!!

Roman

This will be my first winter breing outside and im lookin foreward to it, cant be any colder than ice fishing and it seems kinda the same, you got a propane heater, your gonna get a little wet, your toes are numb but it doesnt matter because you hava beer:mug:

I'll definitely be getting a propane tier system along with my first kegerator with my Xmas bonus. Many outside brews in the works...

Then again, I do live in San Diego, so weather probably won't be that big an issue.

I brew right through the winter here in southern Maine. Coldest brew day yet reached a low of -9 F. Brr. Freezing in the hoses can be an issue, but beyond that I enjoy it. I haven't had any issues (yet!) with propane freeze-up or having issues reaching and maintaining a boil.

I brew in my garage right by the open garage door.

I will say that I prefer brewing in September and October or April and May to January and February though!

Cleanup on cold days was always the worst for me. Dripping wet and cold is miserable.
Amen
I Hate cold weather so much

That's great until you get wet and the wind is howling at 30+ MPH.
Makes me want to kill some one just thinking about that!

I don't have it nearly as bad as a lot of you. I slowly building up my system with hopes of a complete indoor (be it the basement or in a new garage bay) electric system. I should thoroughly clean out the garage while it's still warm in preperation for brewing in the garage. At least HLT (STB Electirc) and Mashing. I can always open the door a bit once I start a boil. Hoping to do only 10G batches though. I hate cold weather. Need the most bang for my buck so to speak.

See, now I am the opposite.

I would rather brew in the winter in the garage than in the summer. the heat is un-bareable somethimes and there is only so much you can take off before the neighbors start to look at you funny.

Back