Does a starter have to use DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
Just wondering about this. Since DME is a litle pricey and I only have enough on hand for what I'm going to brew I was just wondering if it can be done with corn sugar or something else or if that's bad.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you can use a sugar solution for a starter. Sort of like making a solution for priming. I've never done it mind you but it should work as long as the yeast eat and propagate. I've started taking a little extra from my mashes each time to boil and use as a starter for my next brew. It's been working fine so far. May try doing a larger batch and canning it to save.

paranode said:
Just wondering about this. Since DME is a litle pricey and I only have enough on hand for what I'm going to brew I was just wondering if it can be done with corn sugar or something else or if that's bad.

Thanks.

Yeah, kids, dextrose in a starter is bad...mmkay?

Dextrose has a different molecular structure than maltose, etc. If you introduce the yeast cells to dextrose molecules, then they quickly adapt to fermenting dextrose...so when you dump them into a big container full of sugar molecules that are NOT dextrose, they'll have to re-adapt. No good. You want to "train" them for malt sugars. Put another way, if you were training for a marathon, you wouldn't spend every day swimming laps in a pool, would you?

Not making a starter would be better than making a starter with corn sugar, IMO. Buy some DME this time or skip the starter, when you run out start collecting a bottle or two of wort, store it and use it for starter.

Evan! said:
Yeah, kids, dextrose in a starter is bad...mmkay?

Dextrose has a different molecular structure than maltose, etc. If you introduce the yeast cells to dextrose molecules, then they quickly adapt to fermenting dextrose...so when you dump them into a big container full of sugar molecules that are NOT dextrose, they'll have to re-adapt. No good. ?

Right on the money.
I usually have "some" wort left over from brewday. I let this settle and put it into a mason jar, which I then pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes after it reaches 15 PSI. It is then ready to be used when I need it to make a starter.
I have DME I bought a couple of years ago that I really should use to get rid of it before it goes bad.

Every once in a while I will make an extra gallon or so of wort when mashing. Then I will take the extra wort and freeze it, and use it a bit at a time for starters. That way there is no extra dough spent on DME for starters.

corn sugar has no FAN to support the yeasts' life cycle either.

you'd be better off with honey than corn sugar. at least it contains some proteins.

I have seen it recommended in the past if you use anything with a dis-similar profile as your wort, you want to let your starter ferment out fully, decant then pitch the slurry.

If you don't have any extract on hand and want to pitch an active starter, go to your corner grocery and grab a bottle or two of Goya "Malta Goya" (unfermented malt w/ hops) and use that as the basis of your starter.

Back