Does a 120v BoilCoil need a controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDF713

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a simple electric brewing kettle with the 120v 2250 watt Blichmann Boil Coil. I figured I'd just plug it into the outlet and let it run at full power, but the BoilCoil instructions say a controller is required. I also noticed in one of the install videos on youtube that the guy say make sure you use a controller so you don't 'blow it out'.

Is this only a concern for a 240v element, or should I have a controller like a stilldragon between the element and the power source for 120v?

It's not about voltage, it's about power. Unless you have a very large boiler 2250Watt will create a vigorous boil. I bet you decided to get a controller after the first try.
Thanks, I'm thinking now to do something like the stilldragon controller.

Thanks all for replying, I do need this to work for 20 amps. I was looking at using an SSR with a potentiometer between a switch and a plug, but am intrigued by the speed controller Brumateur recommended since it looks simpler.

You need something to throttle down 100% power.

Auber Instruments has all the parts needed to make your own.

If you want a good quality, out if the box solution, Blichmann makes a basic controller for $150.00

Something to consider however.....if you're comfortable with wiring, you should be able to convert a 15amp IPB16 to 20amp. You have to replace the input power cable, the fuse, and then the internal 14gauge wiring to 12gauge out to the element plug. IIRC, the wiring is fairly straight forward, although i think the only concern is that some of the SSR wiring passes through a circuit board, so i'm not sure if theres a difference when it comes to circuitry when it comes to 15 vs 20amp

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm not comfortable taking apart the IPB16 and rewiring, but that is an interesting thought.

Here is a crude drawing of what I plan to do. I bought the voltage regulator Brumateur recommended, and plan to wire the hot through a single pole switch, to the voltage regulator, to the plug, with the neutral going straight to the plug, and all grounded. From left to right it's switch, voltage regulator, and L5-20 plug. I'm not an artist, but I think you can get the idea. Any reason why this won't work? I want the switch so I can just turn the whole thing off. This is also already on a GFCI circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 26
Back