Document Scanner for Homebrew Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any multifunction printer should be able to handle it. It will take a while but it will work. If you are looking to have each one as a seperate file though you may have some issues.

My experience is that HP has taken a huge jump backwards in quality. We've installed some relatively low cost Brother Multifunctions at work and they seem to do pretty good. I think they were around $200, but are networkable, and have sheet feed scanners, so you can scan a stack if need be.

It's hard to find a sheet feed scanner for less than that.

I think Scansnap is considered to be among the best out there but I don't think you can get them at big box stores.

If you're only going to need the scanner for a weekend or two why not just go to Kinkos or another printer and ask them to scan them all?

How about Kinkos, Staples, et al? Maybe it's cheaper to drive down and let them do it?

Dave

We judge tomorrow and that's the thought on just dropping a few hundred on the scanner to get things done. We have other uses for it since we manage close to 500 members, etc.

Fedex Kinkos seems to not want to give pricing on the webz.

At other places, I'm seeing 3.5 cents a page with a minimum order of 3000 pages or $100 surcharge. It starts to lose it's luster.

I'll check it out.

Fedex Kinkos seems to not want to give pricing on the webz.

At other places, I'm seeing 3.5 cents a page with a minimum order of 3000 pages or $100 surcharge. It starts to lose it's luster.

Well heck, I know what I'm going to do the next time I get laid off.

I have a small HP all-in-one that scans farily well and wasn't too expensive (sorry, don't remember the model) but the driver that came with it was a little fussy to load. I'm inclined to steer you away from that or Lexmark (which was even fussier).

Do you just need images, or do you want to convert it to text or a Word document?

Dave

We're just looking to email the images back to the entrants. I'm sure that the judges comments won't convert to searchable text anyways.

The funny thing is that most copiers create an image and then print stuff out. Not sure why scanning is more costly than scanning and printing.

Well heck, I know what I'm going to do the next time I get laid off.

I have a small HP all-in-one that scans farily well and wasn't too expensive (sorry, don't remember the model) but the driver that came with it was a little fussy to load. I'm inclined to steer you away from that or Lexmark (which was even fussier).

Do you just need images, or do you want to convert it to text or a Word document?

Dave

The brother machine we use is the MFC 6490.

It's also a FAX machine and does a pretty decent job printing, and as I said, it's networkable. If you are going to spend $100 on a 1-time scan at the store, it might be worth the extra $$ to own a machine.

Back