Doctors orders no beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
I had a blood test a few days ago for some reason or another.. and much like a mechanic they had to look at things i didn't even come in for.

So they noticed my liver was high or something whatever that means. It boils down to me not being able to drink for a couple days leading up to the next blood sample.

This is going to be the most boring weekend ever. :(

If it was bilirubin levels you may have Gilbert's Syndrome. It's exceedingly common although rarely diagnosed. You can look it up online but it helps to know your family history to be able to really diagnose it. Ask fathers, uncles, brothers, sons if they have ever had it come back high on any blood tests. I have to tell doctors about it any time before they run a blood test, otherwise they want to run a thousand bucks worth of diagnostic crap on me that is easily avoided.

It's totally benign, by the way, so no need to worry.

Test result in something or other that bans you from beer and you didn't ask for a better description of what and why?

Uric Acid?

Tri-glycerides?

Gotta do what I do, don't go to the dr. so you won't get any disappointing news like this. Good luck!

I went to my doctor for a pulled muscle in my neck about 10 years ago. He said something similar to that, high liver something or other, come back for more tests in...

My neck got better with some muscle relaxers, and I never went back. The way I partied at that time in life, I knew my liver was having a hard time keeping up, and I had no intentions of changing.

I had a similar deal hear recently, Blood Test came up with an Elevated Liver function. Turns out it was just my Thalasemia Minor, which is a form of Anemia where the Red Blood cells are just a little abnormally shaped causing the liver to kick out a few extra enzymes into the bloodstream from breaking those cells down. Something like that anyway. It's nothing, I've had it all my life. So you could potentially have that. My doc told me the only way it can escalate to Major is if you have a child with someone that also has it.

Well thanks for the support guys. Yeah the advice nurse was the one i talked to, they want to do another blood test.. i'm pretty sure all she said was something like "high liver" or something.. sounded scary on the phone.

Trying to ignore it, but i'm not going to put off the blood test in case it's a big deal.

Tonight i went to a wedding with an open bar.. The saving grace is the only beer they had was shock top.

Good luck! It's just a couple of days right? You can do it.

Back