Do400um mesh screens work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustusLiebig

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Do 400 um mesh screens effectively work to keep hop pellet material inside or will they work their way out over time?

400 keeps about 80-90% of pellet hop material inside. The bigger problem is that it's small enough to stagnate and not transfer much. Is this for a boil kettle or a dry hopping situation? In both cases, not packing a ton of hops in will help. In the case of a kettle, stirring the wort inside helps.

400 keeps about 80-90% of pellet hop material inside. The bigger problem is that it's small enough to stagnate and not transfer much. Is this for a boil kettle or a dry hopping situation? In both cases, not packing a ton of hops in will help. In the case of a kettle, stirring the wort inside helps.
It's for dry hopping.

I expect a 400 micron hop spider used in a fermentor would horribly impact utilization, at least compared to free-swimming hops...

I expect a 400 micron hop spider used in a fermentor would horribly impact utilization, at least compared to free-swimming hops...
I'd expect extraction to be diminished, but hopefully it isn't horrible. I added the hops this morning. I won't have a side-by-side comparison, but hopefully the extraction works pretty well. They will recieve about 4 days of exposure. 300 um is typical for hop spiders in the kettle, so it has 33% wider pores at 400 um. I'll grant the wort is much hotter and is moving around more than during fermentation, but the dry hops will have about 100x the exposure time and larger pores. In order to get more expansion room, I also added half the amount of hops that the vendor said they would hold. We'll see.

Back