Do you weigh your CO2 tank before and after filling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5lb aluminum tank and keep it in the kegerator. Thinking about upgrading to a 15lb steel tank from Beverage Elements and moving it outside the kegerator, even if I stay with the 5 pounder am thinking of doing the same for space saving reasons.

I've read steel tanks have a 10 year hyrdostatic recert date vice aluminum's 5 year retest. Steel tanks are heavier vs Al. Steel tanks can rust if kept inside a fridge and aluminum doesn't. Steel tanks - are TANKS and can last many, many decades, didn't read this about aluminum yet.

My main concern is keeping a CO2 tank outside the fridge in a garage that I've never measured the temp before but the CA central valley summers get pretty hot - 100-110F and the garage is probably close to the same.

I've only read about problems with CO2 and temperature a few times so believe it is not a huge problem. There is a post somewhere on the net that I read tonight about a guy who had his 10lb tank filled and the safety blowout disk released on the car drive home.

Long story short his advice was to note tare weight and recheck after filled. If an empty ten pound CO2 tank with a tare of 15lbs came back from the fillers at 25lbs not worry but if weighed 25+ pounds, a worry. The simple solution was to bleed off CO2 until the tank weighed tare plus ten.

I realize keeping the tank secure and not subjecting it to being knocked over is a huge factor in the safety of these things. I'm sure a 5 or 50 pound tank that had the valve knocked completely out and 1800 psi of CO2 came rushing out would present a forceful projectile potential.

But how likely with a few simple measures ie., proper fill and secure mounting, is CO2 rocket projectile reality even in extreme heat?

I have had my co2 rank blowout disc go in 104 degree temperatures... I knew it was too hot, but the situation was unavoidable (long story)... and it was properly filled. Since a hydrostat retest is around $30 around here (Indianapolis), I have an aluminum tank and keep it IN the fridge.

If you're going to keep it in a non-temperature-controlled location (like a garage), and keep it out of the fridge, definitely weigh your tank. The gas suppliers around here sometimes overfill CO2 tanks when homebrewers bring them in as a sort of favor because they assume they're going in the refrigerator. Just a heads up. An overfilled tank will most certainly let go (blow the safety disc) in a hot garage (90F+).

Disclaimer: a tank safety valve could blow at lower temps. Nothing I say above is a guarantee. Just my experience!

The way CO2 tanks are made, an actual rocket is unlikely; whats more likely is that the co2 tank busts, and some gale force winds are released as the pressure equalizes. I just got a 5# CO2 tank from Bev El as well; very happy with it, and the instructions say the tank should never be left in direct sunlight or allowed to go above 130F

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get the 15lb reconditioned steel tank from Bev El. $52 plus $23 shipping. Not bad. I'll weigh after filled and bleed off CO2 to bring within specs if necessary and probably monitor the garage temps in the summer. On super hot days maybe keep it in the ferm chamber.

Cheers!

Aluminum tanks are much lighter.

Keep in mind that by having your chest freezer in the garage, it has to work harder to deal with those high temps, which leads to premature burnout and higher electircity bills; might wanna think about bringing the whole thing indoors

Gabba said:
The way CO2 tanks are made, an actual rocket is unlikely; whats more likely is that the co2 tank busts, and some gale force winds are released as the pressure equalizes. I just got a 5# CO2 tank from Bev El as well; very happy with it, and the instructions say the tank should never be left in direct sunlight or allowed to go above 130F

This is right. Gale force winds AND a terrifying noise, but the likelihood of a rocket is very low!

Aluminum tanks are much lighter.

Keep in mind that by having your chest freezer in the garage, it has to work harder to deal with those high temps, which leads to premature burnout and higher electircity bills; might wanna think about bringing the whole thing indoors

Thanks for the input Gabba. The tank will sit in one spot for a very long period of time so I'm not concerned with weight. If I had to move it around often that would be a consideration but for now steel is cheaper and will suit my needs.

I'd like to get the kegerator (refrigerator) out of the garage and into the house but really don't have anyplace to put it in here. Plus my wife wouldn't go for it. :eek: I invested about 50 dollars for the thing so if it last a 2-3 years I'll be happy.

:mug:

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the kegerator. I still have to do some plumbing and add one more tap. It is functional though.

crappy-kegerator-pic-56911.jpg

Back