Do you use your Homebrew in cooking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang,makes me wish I had a good place closer than a few hours away to get a deer without being surrounded by half lit citybillies. I use a 50cal Hawken rifle with 200 grain saboted jacketed hollow points. At 90 to 100 grains of FFFG powder,it equals the muzzle velocity of a 30.06. I haven't been able to pit bbq venison in years. But now that I've gotten better at it,some of my ale would make a good mop for it.

This deer was shot with a bow, as rifle season doesn't start until November 15! I use a 30/30 for my rifle, a nice brush gun for our area. I use a regular right-handed bow for bow hunting, nothing fancy at all!

Here's a picture of how that tenderloin dinner and tannot wine were (taken from a crappy camera phone):
tenderloins1.JPG

In short, awesome!!!!!! You can see that I don't eat wheat/grains/pasta/rice but I eat lots of veggies. It was wonderful! Bob was all ready to eat, and I told him to wait while I grabbed the camera phone for a photo.

Damn Rev, That chili looks TIGHT!! I need to look up that mole porter on here too (it's on here right?)... I'm going to start experimenting with some of the beers I'm trying to cycle through...Y'all have given me some good ideas...

Holy crap, yooper, that looks amazing.

I didn't save you any. You weren't here by dinner time, so we ate every bit! :D

By the way, the wine is a fabulous tannot/merlot blend that was a "special edition release" about 4-5 years ago. I bought it at a great price from austinhomebrew.com and it is one of the most wonderful wines I've every had. There are only about 4 bottles left, and it's going to be greatly missed. It was definitely the best kit I ever made, and probably one of the best wines I've ever had (commercial included). It was an amazing value and I still can't believe how amazing the wine was!

OK, it wasn't my beer, but as part of my quest to empty 50 beer bottles so that I could get my first brew bottled, I did a nice oxtail stew- carbonnade flamande hybrid this weekend.

Let 2.5# oxtail marinade in 40 oz. Belgian-style beer with onions, carrots, cloves, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, and pepper for up to five days. Brown some salt pork, then the oxtails, then add the marinade, some brown sugar, and some vinegar, and cook until the meat is falling off the bone. Refrigerate overnight. Remove the top layer of fat (sounds non-manly, but I ended up removing enough fat to fill a jam jar and the stew was still fantastic), re-heat with some fresh carrots, and serve over egg noodles or steamed potatoes.

I almost picked up some oxtails yesterday. I've never cooked with them, but saw a couple of cooking shows where they were using them.

I made a quick and dirty shepard's pie for dinner today- I had a half pound each of ground beef and ground pork I had to use up (I've been 50-50ing pork and beef in things like burgers and meatballs and such lately since it seems like the closest thing hamburger comes to have fat in it anymore is the can of lard 3 aisles over.)

It was a big cheat- I just used frozen veggies and instant mashed potatoes that you cook like couscous.

It tastes great.

I didn't use homebrew but I am drinking my two hearted clone with it.

Let's see, my HB has made its way into a brat bath, stews, ice cream, cakes, Bbq sauce.

The ice cream takes the cake

Yesterday, I made sourdough with some berliner weisse trub I saved. It rose overnight, this morning I beat it back down. Letting it rise again will accentuate (hopefully) the sour / yeastiness. Unfortunately this second rise is going really slow. If I need to I'll fold in some more starter. Hopefully will be baking tomorrow.

I make a mean beer-cheese bread a couple times every year. I try to use a different beer every time, and some of my homebrews have turned out to make it very very tasty.

I cook several different kinds of chilli. . .and brew several styles of beer and they all go together at some point!

Just emailed my wife your recipe Revvy..

Saw some Young's Double Chocolate Stout at the store the other day, so maybe we'll try it!

I recently did some braised duck. I braised the legs and thighs in leeks, dried cherries and some of one of my BDSA's. YUM.

:off:

Yooper, The more of your posts I read.... the more I think you really don't exist... Like the Gold at the end of a Rainbow... or the Winning Lottery ticket... Yooper: the Perfect Woman

And to get back on topic... this thread has inspired me to try some of my brews in food... ESP the roasts.

Did a lamb shank in the slow cooker with a couple carrots, one big onion, about 10 garlic cloves, a few tablespoons of herbs de Provence, one beef bullion cube, and a bottle of chocolate coffee porter.

Turned out fantastic.

Yup. My Imperial Stout chili comes out awesome. I use half a bottle to deglaze the onions and the other half goes right into the slow cooker.

:off:

Yooper, The more of your posts I read.... the more I think you really don't exist... Like the Gold at the end of a Rainbow... or the Winning Lottery ticket... Yooper: the Perfect Woman

I met her, she really does exist, (see my sig for proof.) And you're right, she is the uber perfect woman for a serious brewer guyl. :)

all the time...

like to use different kinds, usually dark, in my chili. use it for a base in brine recipes, use it to braise meats (corned beef), use it in mustard sauces, you can use it in vinaigrette... potential is limitless.

for those of you looking for ideas, Sean Paxton has some great recipes on his site:

Homebrew Chef: Home

and, i think he's coming out with a cookbook soon (or recently did).

used an English Mild as the base for a marinade for some veggie fajitas

~ 1pint Mild
chili powder
cumin
cayenne
dried chipotle powder
oregeno
chopped garlic
jalepeño
strips of portabello mushrooms
thin slices of green and yellow pepper
thin slices of red onion
topped off with some water to cover the veggies

I've used homebrew to make a delicious focaccia, along with a couple cups of spent all grain. One of the best breads I've ever made!

Recently used some coconut porter in a chuck roast with parsnips recipe...tied/browned the meat, sauteed some mirepoix, deglazed with the porter, then cooked it with more porter and some beef broth. Absolutely divine...

Hey Revvy!
Just wanted to let you know that we're doing our annual chili cookoff tomorrow, and of course I'll be entering your Firebrick recipe. I tweaked it last year and did a pound of lamb for part of the stew meat, and while it came in 2nd place, I'm sticking to your original recipe this year. I'm having to use Young's Double Chocolate Stout in place of the Mole Porter because you never sent me a bomber! Hahaha.

Porter and stout for chili and heartier soups
Hefe for chowders and definitley in potato soup
IPAs I use for soaking some meats especially when they are headed to the smoker

I experiment a lot with beer in my cooking and because I know the exact flavor profile of the beer I brew and the lower cost of using my own beer it allows me more freedom to do so.

I always put a bottle of my brew in with my pulled pork(usually a pale ale or sometimes something more malty). I have a DIPA i thought I messed up a year ago and I've let it sit. Sometimes I'll drink a bottle(very nice after a year) but I love cooking with it. Pulled pork like I said but just recently I used it to make some amazing spare ribs. Baked the ribs for a couple hours at 250 in one of those aluminum baking dishes with a bottle or two of the aged DIPA and some home made rub. Tossed em on the grill for a bit with some home made BBQ sauce(made with homebrew) and they turned out better than any ribs i've ever had. Also made some beans with some homebrew that same night but don't remember how I made them. They were great, though. Hushpuppies also, with the DIPA. I also made tempura shrimp with a pilsner in the batter.

I'm going pheasant hunting this weekend and just thought about using my spiced pumpkin ale to make a gravy over some pheasant breast. MMmmmm.

How awesome that this thread got necro'd. I just had an amazing bratwurst with sauerkraut that was cooked with a bottle of hefe I made in June. It tasted amazing and we paired it with some sleigh'r by ninkasi.

I make my own corned beef. I put a full brisket ( ~ 10#) into a bag with tons of spices, salt, curing salt, etc, and 4 liters of stout. It rests for 5 days, then overnight in crock pot. It's excellent. The last time I made this I used a brown ale I made and bottled about a year ago.

Horrible picture, but here it is:

img_01733-47159.jpg

I make my own corned beef. I put a full brisket ( ~ 10#) into a bag with tons of spices, salt, curing salt, etc, and 4 liters of stout. It rests for 5 days, then overnight in crock pot. It's excellent. The last time I made this I used a brown ale I made and bottled about a year ago.

Horrible picture, but here it is:

img_01733-47159.jpg

Wow. Just wow. That's awesome.

It's been a lot of years since we could use center fire rifles for deer here in Ohio. One of those lever action bark busters would be great in the kind of woodlands we have. I also have a 3-9x weaver dual reticle scope that'd be pretty good for the job. Especially at my age with trifocals.
I keep hering about farmed venison around here,but never saw any. I'd rather shoot it if my joints ever get better.
I keep thinkin of de-boning a whole leg & tie it up to smoke in there all day with some ash.

How awesome that this thread got necro'd. I just had an amazing bratwurst with sauerkraut that was cooked with a bottle of hefe I made in June. It tasted amazing and we paired it with some sleigh'r by ninkasi.

Sorry to necro-post but it's the perfect time of year for roasts, chili's etc that are badass for homebrew pairing! (plus I like to give credit where credit is due, and Revvys Chili is the sh*t.)

MyNameIsPaul said:
Sorry to necro-post but it's the perfect time of year for roasts, chili's etc that are badass for homebrew pairing! (plus I like to give credit where credit is due, and Revvys Chili is the sh*t.)

Don't be sorry. This thread is great and deserves the new attention.

I use my oatmeal stout for braised short ribs... They're pretty amazing. Here's the recipe...

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
4 to 4 1/4 lb beef short ribs, cut into 4-inch pieces
4 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped (2 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium carrots, chopped (2 cups)
3 celery ribs, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
1/4 cup chopped garlic (5 to 6 large cloves)
1 3/4 cups beef broth (14 oz)
2 (12-oz) bottles stout
2 (14- to 15-oz) cans diced tomatoes
Special equipment: a wide 6-qt heavy nonreactive pot with a lid
Accompaniment: buttered egg noodles tossed with chopped fresh parsley

Directions
Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
Stir together brown sugar, paprika, curry powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and mustard in a small bowl until combined.
Pat ribs dry and arrange in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan or a shallow dish, then generously coat all sides of ribs with spice mixture. Marinate, uncovered and chilled, 1 hour.
Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating water, then lift out leeks and drain in a colander.
Heat oil in pot over high heat until hot but not smoking and quickly brown ribs on all 3 meaty sides (but not bone side) without crowding, in batches if necessary, about 1 minute per side. Transfer meat to a large plate, then add leeks, carrots, celery, and bay leaves to pot and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add broth, beer, and tomatoes with their juice, then add ribs with any juices and remaining spices accumulated on plate and bring liquid to a boil, uncovered. Cover pot and transfer to oven, then braise until meat is very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Skim off excess fat from surface of sauce. Discard bay leaves.

Yep, I have used homebrew in lots of recipes. Favorites are either a stout or doppelbock in chili, as well as a coffee stout I used in a gingerbread cake. Can't go wrong with those.

Back