Do you use a windscreen for your outdoor burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Bayou Classic SP10's performance:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I get around 6-8 five gallon batches out of every Blue Rhino tank I swap. But I'm sure I could squeeze a little more performance out of my system with a good windscreen or heat shield of some kind. I brew just outside my open garage door. What kinds of windscreens/heat reflectors are people using with their burners? I'm probably going to go low tech on this -- just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
When it is windy out I have a 3 1/2 foot long piece of roofing metak that I bent into a simicircle and just place it around my burner/kettle as a windscreen. It works great and I do not have to worry about attaching it to anything

Ditto on the sheet metal. Right up to the unit, i put it on blocks to let air in the bottom. The legs on my unit don't stick out so it does get real hot.

i use a NG Hurrricane burner. i bought a piece of sheet metal from the ducting section at Lowes, and cut it to size with Tin Snips.It circles the burner, and my keggle. It helps quite a bit.

i spent 5 bucks at home depot, and bought a round, reducing duct flange, and if it aint great, I"m makin Old Milwaukee.

Back