Do you use a heater in your garage while brewing during the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I typically brew outdoors but in the winter months here in Western NY it gets pretty cold outside. I did a smaller 2.5 gallon batch indoors the other week, but my wife and oldest daughter were not happy with the smell. I think it smells wonderful.

So with that being said, does anyone use an electric heater, kerosene heater or some other option to help warm the garage while brewing in the colder months? If so, can you share what you use? I have a two car garage. When I brew, I keep the garage door open 12-18 inches to help vent the garage while using my Blichmann burner. Thanks in advance!

I always used 1 to 3 propane heaters with built in humidifiers.

I had no choice. They were heating the kettles.

I would cross ventilate by opening my side door a bit, and raising the garage door an inch or two.

Only down side was, on the coldest of days, the evaporate from the kettles would condense into a cloud that filled my garage.

I have a small two car garage and typically don't brew in the Winter months. I am brewing this Sunday because I have a family member in town that is dieing to learn the process. I have a large buddy heater and it works well with the garage door closed. I will fill up my HLT with water the night before and back the car out so I don't have to open the garage door when I start. I can crank the heater up and get some coffee in me while the garage warms up.

Easy to install if you have gas near by and a wall or roof you can vent out.

https://north40.com/mr-heater-big-m...rNZ9Uc3hy0lPRKnDhiOpzaE-zAubN31ui-BoCHszw_wcB

I turn it on in the morning while I get breakfast and measure water, by the time I'm ready to fire up the burners everything in the garage is warm and maintains heat while the doors are cracked for ventilation. As soon as the burner goes off the heater gets turned back on. Kinda pricy though unless you have other garage hobbies that can use it during the winter months.

I have a small two car garage and typically don't brew in the Winter months. I am brewing this Sunday because I have a family member in town that is dieing to learn the process. I have a large buddy heater and it works well with the garage door closed. I will fill up my HLT with water the night before and back the car out so I don't have to open the garage door when I start. I can crank the heater up and get some coffee in me while the garage warms up.

Can you share what model the heater is you use? I'm trying to find something that will warm the garage while I brew. Anything that would at least make it a little more comfortable would be great.

Easy to install if you have gas near by and a wall or roof you can vent out.

https://north40.com/mr-heater-big-m...rNZ9Uc3hy0lPRKnDhiOpzaE-zAubN31ui-BoCHszw_wcB

I turn it on in the morning while I get breakfast and measure water, by the time I'm ready to fire up the burners everything in the garage is warm and maintains heat while the doors are cracked for ventilation. As soon as the burner goes off the heater gets turned back on. Kinda pricy though unless you have other garage hobbies that can use it during the winter months.

That looks great, but out of my budget right now. :(

Are your wife and daughter fantastic cooks. Does everything they do in the kitchen please you? If not tell them this is what you are cooking today and just get over it. They should learn how to become more tolerant of other persons feelings.

Actually I do all the cooking. It may be that they have to deal with it the few times I brew inside. Maybe after X number of small batches then I may be the ok to install the larger unit @GPP33 referenced. ;)

have a nice little 220v ceiling mounted heater in my garage. even on the coldest days with that going and a boil kettle my garage will stay a toasty 50*+

Aren't you garage brewers worried about all the steam getting into everything in your garage. I keep picturing water damage on a slow scale :(

Regarding moisture, yes, that's an important issue. I use a large salad bowl inverted over the boil and connected with ducting to the outside.

I have an older version of this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200354782_200354782?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20%3E%20Natural%20Gas%20Heaters&utm_campaign=Mr.%20Heater&utm_content=255639&gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03hMiFaLF7oSqlJpnKV7sYyi8Cq615gG3wRApDBCirZfhoCwrbw_wcB

I needed to install a ceiling fan in my garage since all the heat goes to the ceiling. I only use it when the temps are in the single digits since I have halogen lights in my garage that provide adequate heating.

After the 1st year of PM and extracts on the stove in the kitchen, I now do all my brews in my garage, which is attached and has a doorway to the basement. Burners just inside the garage door which is propped open anywhere from 6" to full open, depending on outdoor temp and wind. I sit inside in a comfy chair watching and timing. 2 weekends ago it was -7 F, and I experienced a slightly longer boil than usual, and a partially frozen hose with my chilling water (done outside) but otherwise it was pretty uneventful. Tomorrow morning it'll be a civilized 30ish while I do my last batch of the year.

Aren't you garage brewers worried about all the steam getting into everything in your garage. I keep picturing water damage on a slow scale :(

I've been closely watching it and I haven't seen any signs of anything to be concerned about. Of course I live in Co where humidity is already stupid low. With the main door and man door both open during the boil there's plenty of fresh bone dry air to take care of the moisture. I do a lot of metal working so I have raw steel in the garage, rust beginning to form on unprotected metal surfaces would probably be a first sign of concern. My garage is also drywalled and painted so your mileage might vary if you have open rafters. The only effect I've seen is a little condensation on the windows on the garage door but they dry out as soon as I shut off the burner and kill the boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you share what model the heater is you use? I'm trying to find something that will warm the garage while I brew. Anything that would at least make it a little more comfortable would be great.

This is the heater I have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXSUIF8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think you can get a better deal than that if you shop around locally. Seems like my wife bought mine for under $100 a couple years back. You can use the small disposable propane bottles or get the optional hose and hook it up to a larger refillable propane bottle.

It works great for camping also. We have a large Kodiak Canvas tent and in the Spring and Fall it keeps the tent hot on the low setting. It will automatically shut off if it tips over and it has a built in low oxygen shutoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

During the mash I keep a lid on the MLT and HLT. During the boil is when I open the garage door. The BK generates too much steam during the boil and I am worried about it. I have a plan for a 220v outlet in the basement so my operation may be heading inside for next year. :ban:

I have a 780 cfm exhaust fan and hood set up over the kettle, condensation is not an issue even with the garage door opened just an inch.

Agree with OP, no better smell than boiling grains and hops! This is probably not much help since I don't have an accessible garage, but in the winter I brew right outside my back door on the lower side of the house. It's not a sophisticated, cumbersome set-up, just a burner and a kettle. I set up a triangular windbreak around the burner of three 2' X 4' sheets of OSB and keep the lid partially on the kettle (I didn't one cold, rainy day and got roof drizzle in my boiling wort). Not the most comfy set-up when it's freezing out, although I try to schedule my brew days in the winter around comparatively mild days. For instance, we're supposed to have high 40s to low-50s first part of this coming week. Just sayin'...

In the winter no. The air is typically very dry in missouri here. As of this post the humidity is only 45% Unless I were brewing every single day.. im not concerned int he slightest.

such a mild volume of water into the exceptionally dry air + the dry air being drawn into the garage shouldnt be an issue.

I use a little 1500 watt ceramic heater in my garage and it keeps it about 60, but the garage is partially below ground, the door is insulated, and the window is dual paned. I have a hood vented out the window that I use during the boil.

Concern of moisture from OR. Like other posters from high desert, we contribute and help by boiling to help humidity, like cracked nasal passages dry skin ect

Concern of moisture from OR. Like other posters from high desert, we contribute and help by boiling to help humidity, like cracked nasal passages dry skin ect

Yea.... almost funny that I would be concerned about moisture. But OUR rain moisture is best kept outside !!

Nice Phil Lynott avatar btw :ban:

I typically brew outdoors but in the winter months here in Western NY it gets pretty cold outside. I did a smaller 2.5 gallon batch indoors the other week, but my wife and oldest daughter were not happy with the smell. I think it smells wonderful.

So with that being said, does anyone use an electric heater, kerosene heater or some other option to help warm the garage while brewing in the colder months? If so, can you share what you use? I have a two car garage. When I brew, I keep the garage door open 12-18 inches to help vent the garage while using my Blichmann burner. Thanks in advance!

Hell no! I bundle up and brew in my driveway! My garage is for my dirt bikes and motorcycles! :rockin:

Seriously though, I LOVE the cold weather, and I LOVE brewing in the cold weather. My coldest brew day to date was -1 F... and it was done 100% outside. It takes a bit longer to heat up... But it also cools down to pitching temps much more quickly.

I'm admittedly a bit of a weirdo when it comes to my cold weather proclivity. If you're looking to warm up your garage and you already have natural gas or propane lines in your house, a wall mounted vent-free heater is a must. Such as this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-3...Propane-Vent-Free-Convection-Heater/999976632

You could also go with a similar infrared model like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-3...tural-Gas-Vent-Free-Infrared-Heater/999976644. The heat from these is quite different, but it heats you up FAST.

I have a new brew-in-the-winter system which was first successfully deployed on December 3rd. The moisture thing has always been a concern for me, as my walls and ceiling in the garage are insulated, and I don't want steam rising to the ceiling and condensing in the insulation.

So until Dec 3rd, i always brewed w/ the doors open. Cold, I know, but if the temp approached 40, I'd do it. I'd position a fan to blow across the steam column rising from the boil kettle, directing it outside and preventing its rise to the ceiling.

But in the search for something better, a friend and I developed this:

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

A box fan in the garage window, sealed on the side w/ scraps, and a "hood" over it to direct the rising steam out the window.

It only works well if the service door is cracked to provide makeup air, and that just makes the garage cold. So we used a propane heater to warm it up inside, and it actually was comfortable with just a long-sleeved shirt.

Before anyone asks, the wooden bench behind the burner was cold to the touch.

This setup worked so well I was just shocked. There's makeup air so the exhaust from the burner under the kettle, and the propane heater were never an issue. I'm hoping to get a Blichman Hellfire burner in the relatively near future; might have to move it away from the bench. If so, I'll extend the "hood" a bit if necessary, but I have little doubt it'll all work.

BTW, my friend supplied the propane heater; I just bought this from Menards to use for future brews: portable convection heater. Got the 11 percent rebate so the price was reasonable.

Yea.... almost funny that I would be concerned about moisture. But OUR rain moisture is best kept outside !!

Nice Phil Lynott avatar btw :ban:

I love me some OR. Dad raised in Springfield, Grams in Cottage Grove, lived in Bend for a bit. You must not be near Bend, dry dry. Where abouts are you?
Love me some Thin Lizzy too. Thanks :mug:

Suggestion for Mongoose33.
Remove the scraps that are closing off the window and move your side shields in to block the fan(imagine a fan in a square duct). The openings on the side will allow makeup air in and should be drawn back out with the steam, thus keeping your garage warmer. It's an idea based on Commercial kitchen exhaust hoods with build in makeup air.

I love me some OR. Dad raised in Springfield, Grams in Cottage Grove, lived in Bend for a bit. You must not be near Bend, dry dry. Where abouts are you?
Love me some Thin Lizzy too. Thanks :mug:

I'm in Springfield and love it !! :ban:

Our brewery count is currently two, with Hop Valley and Planktown, and we also have a Claim 52 taproom even though they brew in Eugene.

I just went through Colorado in Nov. Stayed the night in Boulder and hit up Avery Brewing and had a beergasm at Hazels Berverage World

I'm pretty lucky to have a heated garage. I have an insulated door so if the door stays shut it I can maintain about 50 degrees or so. On brewday with the burner going it's usually in the 70s. I crack my service door and have a CO detector which has never gone off.

I brewed Saturday with a propane heated and had the brew burner going at the same time. Occasionally I'd open the garage because it was a little too warm or I didn't like the humid smell from the boil. No headaches, pains or problems.

Back