Do you think I'll have bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBIU2013

Reaction score
I'm new to Homebrew talk and to homebrewing generally. I just bottled my third batch. It was the recipe for Brewer's Best Chocolate Milk Stout, but I bought the ingredients individually since I couldn't find the kit close by and didn't have much time to get it before brew day. I did modify it a little in that I used 8 oz of cocoa powder with 10 min left in the boil rather than cacao nibs in secondary. My question is whether anyone with more experience thinks I may get bottle bombs and here's why I'm nervous. My OG was about 1.052 (taken straight from the fermentation bucket and not a sample tube since I don't have one). I fermented in primary for 3 1/2 weeks and then bottled. At bottling FG was about 1.022...seems a little high since I was expecting around 1.015-1.017 according to the recipe. My OG was a few points higher than the recipe said, though. And I did have 8 oz of cocoa powder that I added during the boil, so maybe it was a bit more viscous and higher OG because of the cocoa? I was only at my parents' house where I brew for a few days and wanted to bottle so I went ahead and did it. I carbonated with the standard priming sugar packet you get at a brew store (5 oz I think) and I had about 4.75 or a little more gallons of beer in the bucket once I racked off the trub, but not quite 5 gallons. It's been in the bottles for about 1 week and 2 days and is already at about optimal carbonation with a rapidly forming head. That seems really fast to me and makes me worry about bottle bombs. My first beer was a ~5.5% ABV English Brown Ale that took 3-4 weeks to carb up properly. My second was a 9% Belgian Tripel that took a few months to carb up, which I understand. So this seems super fast.

So what do you think? Should I be nervous?

I think you will be fine. Temperature is also factor in this scenario as well. I prime and bottle and usually @ ~ 1 week, the beer is drinkable. 5 oz is pretty standard for ~5 gallon batches. I believe the reason mine carbonate is the constant 59*-61* temp in my basement. Wait for the 2 week mark and I bet the head will decrease. You are in the peak of carbonation, Think of it like a bell curve, it needs to complete the down-slope.

It is best to take an FG reading, but 3 1/2 weeks is typically plenty of time for a beer to complete fermentation, unless it was fermented really cold.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the fermentation was particularly cold. It was in a basement that may be a little colder than the rest of the house, but not much.

It is best to take an FG reading, but 3 1/2 weeks is typically plenty of time for a beer to complete fermentation, unless it was fermented really cold.

I wouldn't be too worried.

I did take a FG reading. It was 1.022 or so.

Sorry about that...with extract, it is hard sometimes to reach a gravity below 1020, I think you'll be fine. Put the bottles in a bin, if you're concerned with a possible mess.

Cool. Sounds good. It turned out well, so I'm happy about that. Has a good flavor to it.

Back