Do you sniff your airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezemm

Reaction score
If you had to guess how many times you go down and check on the brew and give it the good whiff test, how many would it be? Does your mouth water?

I think there's something wrong with me (going down in the basement to sniff now!):mug:

Better question, who doesn't?

Three times a day for me. In the morning when I wake up, when I get home from work, and just before I go to sleep.

Almost everyday.... My "brew room" smells like farts most of the time but I love to go in there and soak up the aromas. Totally normal.. Carry on! :tank:

I think I had the natural instinct to sniff my airlock when I first heard the bubbles on my first brew (last week).

I was paranoid to see if it would smell like beer or if I had screwed it up and was brewing a batch of bacteria.

Almost everyday.... My "brew room" smells like farts most of the time but I love to go in there and soak up the aromas. Totally normal.. Carry on! :tank:

We're opposite there. Due to the "aromas" created by...well...my own brewing process, I usually go to my brew room to get a breath of fresh air. :cross:

Better yet, I ferment all my wine in my computer room that stays at a constant, and perfect, temperature for fermenting wine. I keep the doors and windows closed, and when I come home from work, am greeted by the wonderful smells (usually) of the gasses produced from the fermenting wine.
As for beer, which ferments in the garage, I do sniff the airlock a time or two during the day - need to make sure all is OK.

all the time. I'll wait and try to sniff the full aroma of a fresh "bubble up"

only all the time... and yes, fresh bubbles are the only way to go!

Mine was fermenting in the kitchen, which is admittedly a large room, and I never smelled anything except when I took the lid off to sneak a peak. Then it smelled wonderful.

Good, I'm not crazy! I also have the 3x a day routine, morning, evening, and then tuck it in for the night with a good SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF. Sometimes it can go straight to your dome:drunk:

Back