Do you rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likebull

Reaction score
Usually when I bottle my brew, i tend to have a little bit of overflow. After I'm done capping I dunk each bottle in my 5 gal. bucket of star-san to get off any leftover beer.
Does anybody else do this or do you think it's unnessesary?

I'm just imagining an army of drunk ants crawing all over my bottles.

There is an art to filling bottles without overflow.Remember the liquid fills the displaced level when the fill tube is removed.

Beer in my Starsan goes against my OCD.
If I have any accidents the sink works for me.

Yea, I just bout a bottling wand finally and I'm still trying to get used to it.
It works like a dream compared to pinching off the hose.
I'm getting less sloppy each time, so hopefully no rinsing in my near future.

plus the girlfriend isn't to happy about sticky floor!

I attach my bottling wand almost directly to the spigot using about 2 inches of hose, bring each bottle up to the wand, instead of moving the wand to each of the bottles

mostly because I'm lazy and can sit down while bottling, but also because I'm lazy and cleanup is so much easier

I attach my bottling wand almost directly to the spigot using about 2 inches of hose, bring each bottle up to the wand, instead of moving the wand to each of the bottles

mostly because I'm lazy and can sit down while bottling, but also because I'm lazy and cleanup is so much easier

This/\ and a small drip bucket underneath for any spillage.

hmmmm...interesting. I like the way you think.
I think I'll try that next time.

I gravity feed the beer out of the fermenter into a corny that has priming sugar in it, pressurize it to serving pressure, put a cobra tap on it and stick the bottling wand in the cobra tap - it fits well, and then bottle from that. The tap gives you a lot more control if you have a kegging setup and you can take the wand to the bottle, not the bottle to the wand. The filled bottles are then set on the garage floor and I usually spray them off with a hose before wiping them down and putting them into boxes to condition.

I always do a little overflow to push out any remaining Star San solution. I dip the bottle in plain water instead of getting my Star San solution dirty. I reuse my sanitizer until the pH reaches 3.0 or goes higher.

My bottling set up. Area is a little messy in this picture. Rolling mechanics stool in foreground for sitting down while filling the bottles.

Resized_500pix_441.jpg

I always do a little overflow to push out any remaining Star San solution. I dip the bottle in plain water instead of getting my Star San solution dirty. I reuse my sanitizer until the pH reaches 3.0 or goes higher.

My bottling set up. Area is a little messy in this picture. Rolling mechanics stool in foreground for sitting down while filling the bottles.

other than the benchcapper, this would be my setup.

plus, I put the bottling bucket on top of another bucket, just so the bottles are at eye level while filling

Back