Do you really need to aerate wort when using a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justino411

Reaction score
If oxygen is important in the first few hours after pitching new yeast and causes oxygenation if added after it is established then does wort really need to be aerated if you're pitching a yeast starter that has been going for a couple days?

yes, you still need well-aerated wort because the yeast in the starter still needs to multiply. those 150, 200 or 300 billion cells aren't the total number that are required to get the job done - they are the number required to start things off, to ensure that after the reproduction phase there are enough yeast around to gobble up all that sugar. that initial dose of yeast - even with a starter - isn't enough.

I will go out on a limb here and say if I had to CHOOSE between a starter and good aeration, I would choose the healthy, active starter every time.

I would also choose Fermentation temp control by a thermostat over aeration.

Only after having solid fermentation control and healthy yeast would I spend money on something to increase aeration.

Im not going to say you will always make good beer without aeration, but I have made lots of good beer (and I am a hater of yeast off flavors) without it.

Wort aeration can mean nothing more than shaking the P*&*^ out of the fermenter after you pitch the yeast and before you put on the airlock. Expensive equipment is not required.

I will go out on a limb here and say if I had to CHOOSE between a starter and good aeration, I would choose the healthy, active starter every time.

I would also choose Fermentation temp control by a thermostat over aeration.

Only after having solid fermentation control and healthy yeast would I spend money on something to increase aeration.

Im not going to say you will always make good beer without aeration, but I have made lots of good beer (and I am a hater of yeast off flavors) without it.

I can't say that I totally agree with you. I do, in part... temp control and pitch rates are very important, but so is aerating your wort. All three pretty much go hand in hand, they're all related to yeast health. And many a brewer will say that yeast health is extremely important. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would say that aeration is as important as pitch rates and temp control.
As for the bolded statement, true, you can make good beer without aerating..... but try not aerating a 1.097 RIS....

Wort aeration can mean nothing more than shaking the P*&*^ out of the fermenter after you pitch the yeast and before you put on the airlock. Expensive equipment is not required.

So THAT'S how ya got your name? :mug: I always figured you were the guy at the party who you didn't want to ask to grab you a beer! :ban: :ban:

You could do a test by splitting your next batch in half. After you pitch shake the hell out of one for 45 sec. and let the other just sit. That should be enough proof how important aeration is.

IMO this part of the process is overrated for beers under 1.060. I just make sure i splash a bit from kettle to bucket, attenuation numbers are normal to yeast strain and style, for me anyways. 1.060 and up and i focus more on it.

Ive never experienced a "stuck" ferment

Back