Do you have to use an airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you have to switch out the blow off tube for an airlock? The reason I ask is that I want to throw together a batch of Ancient Orange Mead and I only have one airlock. Currently I have a 5 gal batch of ale that is just shy of a week old. I've got the blow off tube on there now, but according to what I've read, should be switching to an airlock soon, as the violent part of the fermentation seems done. Is there harm done if I use my airlock for my mead and leave the blow off until I can make it to a LHBS to pick up another (likely on Saturday)?

A blow off tube is an airlock, just a different kind than the little ones. Lots of folks use blow off tubes throughout the entire process so I say you're good to go.

That is kind of what I figured. The concepts are the same, but being a noob, I figured I was better off asking. Thanks!

If you're sanitary, there's nothing risky about it. Wild yeast and bacteria fall down, not up.

We work in a sterile (yes, sterile, a step above sanitary) environment in my lab and everything is grown with aluminum foil.

EDIT: From Chris White, "I don't like airlocks, I don't think they are needed in primary. I say keep them off and only put on when fermentation starts to slow down. Prior to that, some loose foil is all you need on top."

I use aluminum foil on all my starters. Not a problem. I've also done small batches of wine in juice bottles using a rubber band and sanitized plastic bags as airlocks. A bung and airlock is better, sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

My first reaction is you don't have to do anything, but some things do help.
I have had some fantastic beers brewed in open vats with spiders making their webs above them.
I have had horrible infected beers that always had an airlock on them.
Airlocks will help with keeping bad things out, but it is just one factor. I use airlocks on my starters usually, but tin foil, paper towels, a balloon, etc have also worked for me.
I'm sorry to say there is no right answer, just do what meets your comfort level and brew some more beer. :)

My first reaction is you don't have to do anything, but some things do help.
I have had some fantastic beers brewed in open vats with spiders making their webs above them.
I have had horrible infected beers that always had an airlock on them.
Airlocks will help with keeping bad things out, but it is just one factor. I use airlocks on my starters usually, but tin foil, paper towels, a balloon, etc have also worked for me.
I'm sorry to say there is no right answer, just do what meets your comfort level and brew some more beer. :)

A balloon? Really? I might have to try that just to see how big a balloon can get from the fermentation

in regards to when and why i switch from blowoff to airlock:

i do it once the krausen stops getting pushed up through the tube and the main reason is gunk. if i have a bunch of krausen that's gone through my blowoff tube i find that it's a lot easier to clean two days after the stuff goes through than if it sits there for two more weeks.

Latest posts

Back