do you filter your water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Up to this point I have just used campden tabs but lately I have been thinking about using a carbon filter for my brewing water. I have seen plans for using a shower head filter Bed Bath & Beyond - Culligan Shower Filter Replacement Cartridge
and I'm also considering a cartridge filter setup that I'm thinking that I could swap out the filter for filtering beer also.

What are all of you using?

I don't filter my water, but I'll point out that a "house filter" can also be used as a hop randell without too much extra work.

I did, but now I use Campden tablets. Of course, as hard as my water is, I need to buy it to make anything lighter than a porter.

I use RO or Distilled water and build the profile with salts.

I use a Culligan RV water filter.

rv-600.jpg

• Culligan RV-600 RV Water Filter Purpose:
  • Produces healthier, better-tasting drinking and cooking water on the road in your RV
  • Granular activated carbon filter reduces chlorine taste and odor, bad taste and odor, and sediment
  • The Culligan RV-600 is a disposable filter
  • Culligan RV-600 Recreational Vehicle Water Filter System Information:
  • The Culligan RV-600 comes with the standard garden hose coupling and a 12-inch flexible hose.
  • 3 gallons-per-minute maximum flow rate
  • The Culligan RV-600 filter cartridge is 9.75" in height and 2.75" in diameter.
  • Culligan RV-600 Recreational Vehicle Replacement Filter:
  • The Culligan RV-600 is a disposable filter. The filter can be replaced with the Culligan RV-500 water filter. The Culligan RV-500 does not have the 12-inch flexible hose.
  • The Culligan RV-600 recreational vehicle water filter lasts up to 2000 gallons. The water filter life also depends on the quality of your water.

I use a charcoal house filter for brewing. My LHBS is also a brewery and they said thats what they use for their beers, so I figured it must be good enough for mine.

GE Merlin RO water filter system. Add back a few minerals, although not a big believer that it matters much for my IPA's.

I don't. I fill water bottles and leave them out in the sun to remove chlorine. The tap water here is as good as store bought spring watter. I can make Pilsners, Stouts or IPAs with minimal pH correction.

I filter mine using an Aquasana under the counter filter. I don't have any measurable evidence that this is better than just using a campden tablet. But, according to my taste buds, the brews where I used filtered water "seem" to be better. TIFWIW....
(Disclaimer: I don't know if that is a generally accepted acronym, but I meant "Take It For What It's Worth". I was trying to save myself some typing. Then at the last minute I realized that I have nothing better to do, so I decided to explain myself. Have a nice day. Ooooh, LOOK! A shiny object........)

Absolutely! About a year ago, SWMBO had me buy a Berkey water filter with 2 of the black filters and 2 of the PF2 filters which remove 95% of fluoride out of the water. I only use water run through this system for all the water we use for drinking, cooking, ice, and of course my beer.

This system is actually classified as a purifier because it "removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites to non-detectable levels. It removes harmful or unwanted chemicals to below detectable levels, heavy metals and unhealthy minerals. Lead and mercury are reduced by more than 95% without removing the minerals your body needs."

I really like this system, the water tastes great, and so does my beer! It says it can remove food coloring out of the water, so I tried it when I first got it. I put red food color in the water when I filled it, it came out crystal clear.

While they are not cheap, I highly recommend them. Here is a link in case you're interested: Berkey water filters

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this seemed like the right place to ask. What do you guys think about Chloramines, is it necessary to filter them?

EdWort-

are you still using your RV filter? I've been perusing the Austin water report (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/whatsinthewater.htm) and they use Chloramines in the water where we are, since about 2004 I think. That filter won't remove them. Have you noticed any issues with your beer? I figure if it still works for you, I'll probably just go the same route since it's cheaper.

House filter with 5 Micron Activated Charcoal filter cartridge.

As to the chloramines, it is my understanding that they are filterable only with a multistage osmosis type system. Otherwise, they need to be chemically converted with Campden.

If you want to say Good buy to the deadly Chlorine you encounter while taking shower, make sure you install Shower filters inside your bathroom. This will help in getting a healthy and soothing kind of shower, which is more than enough to bust your stress and fatigue...Thanks a lot.

Oh .... kay.... :confused:

I used to carbon filter the water, but now I dilute with RO at a 65% and then use a campden tablet. I then adjust the mineral profile to suit the mash/style.

For Chloramine I use two of these.

Neo-Pure CHLM-2510 9-7/8" x 2-1/2" Chloramine Carbon Block 1 micron

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-10145-neo-pure-chlm-2510-9-78-x-2-12-chloramine-carbon-block-1-micron.aspx

I also have a kdf-55 in line with the neopure to take out much more:

KDF is known to kill algae and fungi, control bacteria growth, remove chlorine, pesticides, organic matter, rust, unpleasant taste and odour, hydrogen sulfide, iron, lead, nickel, chromium, cadmium, calcium, aluminium, mercury, arsenic, and other organic compounds..

10" x 2-1/2" Coconut Shell GAC + 0.75 - 1 lbs KDF55

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-3766-10-x-2-12-coconut-shell-gac-075-1-lbs-kdf55.aspx

Back