Do we have any pilots or aviation enthusiasts in here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I am an Air Traffic Controller at my day job, aviation enthusiast/aspiring pilot during the time I am not at work, and a brewer on the weekend. Do we have any folks around that fit into the category?

Those that do know, it is a community full of pride and obsessions much like brewing and I would love to see who is on here.

Trainee airline pilot here! Should be fully qualified and starting with my airline in a few months, having flown all manner of light aircraft, gliders and paragliders since being a small child.

I just had a great summer training at KFFZ. You guys really have the right attitude to ATC and GA in general out there.

Trainee airline pilot here! Should be fully qualified and starting with my airline in a few months, having flown all manner of light aircraft, gliders and paragliders since being a small child.

I just had a great summer training at KFFZ. You guys really have the right attitude to ATC and GA in general out there.

Very cool, what type of aircraft will you be flying for the airline? I haven't had my hands on anything besides a C172, looking to get my PPL one day. We do get to do airline jumpseat for training at work twice a year which is awesome though!

I have a PPL, but haven't flown as PIC for many years due to some medical issues. Hoping something happens with the medical reforms soon, so that I don't have to go thru special issuance.

Brew on :mug:

I don't currently own an aircraft except a home built trike. Owned a C 150 at one time, but the cost of ownership on factory built aircraft is a bit rich for my blood. EAA member, etc, I've been involved with aircraft all my life. I'd be building my own right now except for lack of space. Flying is my first love!! The trike with an Aeros Stranger wing is as wonderful machine, and the Rotax 582 is a monster. Nothing else I've ever flown is as much fun as a trike. They'll fly hands off all day long, or do whatever you want them to do (right side up only), and handle rough air effortlessly rather than beating you to death like a "spam can".

H.W.

Private Single Engine here, mostly fly Cessna's and tail draggers. I have some time in a helicopter but got to rich for my blood.

I have always wanted to learn how to fly. I spend a lot of time playing my FSX on my computer. If anyone in the Portland area flies, I will chip in on the fuel :mug:

Commercial aviation enthusiast/nerd here, but not a pilot. Enjoy spotting, flying, and the industry (work for an aerospace systems supplier)

Enthusiast here, grew up flying with my dad in his L-19, N29920..... Can still hear his voice calling it out for clearance as if it were yesterday. (It's been more like 25 years now).

AMT ( Aviation Maintenance Technician), here, and sheet metal fabricator.

Student pilot from long ago, solo'd, but never got my license, as life got in the way.

Very cool, what type of aircraft will you be flying for the airline? I haven't had my hands on anything besides a C172, looking to get my PPL one day. We do get to do airline jumpseat for training at work twice a year which is awesome though!

I'll be on the Airbus A320 (and its variants). I have a job with one of the major European airline already (I'd prefer not to be too specific!).

I've done a couple of jumpseat rides - you're absolutely right, it's awesome. One of the absolute best experiences of my life. I never stop pinching myself that some idiot is going to pay me to do this job soon!!

A few videos for the avgeeks out there:

[ame="https://vimeo.com/70994185"]https://vimeo.com/70994185[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a private pilot (got it while in air cadets as a teenager), but I haven't flown in a few years due to cost. Actually, if I don't fly in the next couple of years, it will expire and I'll have to re-test. Haven't decided if I'm going to bother keeping it up, I have too many expensive hobbies already (including brewing).

I got my private pilot's license and was working on my variable prop cert while in high school. The pilots licensce turned out to be the thing that got me into my college of choice. The admissions dept told me they wanted me because they had no pilots, it set my application apart.
I haven't flown since college - it is an expensive hobby. And that is an understatement.

it is an expensive hobby. And that is an understatement.

Yep. Around here, a 172 rents for (ironically) $172/hr wet. Do I want a brand new Chugger pump, or an hour in a plane? Do I want a shiny new plate chiller, or an hour in a plane? Do I want 10 batches of beer ingredients, or an hour in a plane?

Commercial helicopter pilot here. Started taking lessons in 2003 while still working full time, and by 2005 I was working full time as a CFII for the flight school I trained at. Since 2007 I've been flying a news helicopter.

I'll be on the Airbus A320 (and its variants). I have a job with one of the major European airline already (I'd prefer not to be too specific!).

I've done a couple of jumpseat rides - you're absolutely right, it's awesome. One of the absolute best experiences of my life. I never stop pinching myself that some idiot is going to pay me to do this job soon!!

Exactly how I feel when I wake up to go to work every day to play my "video game" known as ATC.

Expensive hobby for sure....the whole reason I don't have my PPL yet.

Commercial helicopter pilot here. Started taking lessons in 2003 while still working full time, and by 2005 I was working full time as a CFII for the flight school I trained at. Since 2007 I've been flying a news helicopter.

Super cool, got to ride in some helicopters at work recently and it was a lot of fun. Bell Helicopter has a factory right up the road from my airport so we work with them all day.

i've got my PPL as well, haven't flown in over 10yrs due to cost.... i've flown aerobatic and a few hours in military as well. i miss flying but the cost is too rich for my blood now with a toddler and another one on the way.... every time i hear certain planes i wish in it...

This isn't a dig but everyone complaining about the cost of flying should try doing it elsewhere in the world!

In the UK a light a/c will be a minimum of around $180-200 per hour to rent. Landing fees can easily be another $30 on top of that. The licensing is more or less double US prices. Once airborne there's airspace everywhere to contend with.

Sometimes it's easy to miss what's right in front of you. Honestly, having flown in both Europe and the US, you guys have it very, VERY good. Beautiful scenery, cheap gas, established GA scene. Don't let it change!

I've always been interested in it, but not interested enough to take the plunge and actually go for lessons. It's the sort of hobby that costs enough that you have to go all-in on it and actually do it regularly to justify the investment, and I just don't think I'd do it.

Plus, my wife is terrified of small planes. My brother is a pilot (fixed-wing, helicopter, was a USMC flight instructor for both single and multi-engine) and now flies for United. I was telling my wife that I wanted to take our son out to visit him and his son in December. She said "okay, as long as you don't go up in any small planes." Seriously? If there's anyone in the world that she should trust flying our son, it would be my brother.

So for now, I'll still have to live vicariously through all of you.

I've always been interested in it, but not interested enough to take the plunge and actually go for lessons. It's the sort of hobby that costs enough that you have to go all-in on it and actually do it regularly to justify the investment, and I just don't think I'd do it.

Plus, my wife is terrified of small planes. My brother is a pilot (fixed-wing, helicopter, was a USMC flight instructor for both single and multi-engine) and now flies for United. I was telling my wife that I wanted to take our son out to visit him and his son in December. She said "okay, as long as you don't go up in any small planes." Seriously? If there's anyone in the world that she should trust flying our son, it would be my brother.

So for now, I'll still have to live vicariously through all of you.

One of my arguments against people that think small planes are less safe is, if you have engine trouble you need less of an area to land in plus you land slower. Also you need to go up with someone who sticks to his training (i.e. uses checklists, checks weather, keeps his hours up). Most small plane wreaks are pilots that don't check the weather or even worse don't make sure they have enough fuel to make the flight with 30-45 min reserve.

Any idea how hard is it to go from Private to Medical Helicopters? I heard they usually offer those jobs to ex army helicopter pilots. I've always been interested but seems like a long road to get to.

One of my arguments against people that think small planes are less safe is, if you have engine trouble you need less of an area to land in plus you land slower. Also you need to go up with someone who sticks to his training (i.e. uses checklists, checks weather, keeps his hours up). Most small plane wreaks are pilots that don't check the weather or even worse don't make sure they have enough fuel to make the flight with 30-45 min reserve.

Exactly. Would you rather have a malfunction in something that weighs as much as an SUV and flies at about 100 mph, or something that weighs 70 tons and needs to go almost double that just to get of the ground?

Assuming equal pilot skill, I'd go with the small plane any day of the week.

Any idea how hard is it to go from Private to Medical Helicopters? I heard they usually offer those jobs to ex army helicopter pilots. I've always been interested but seems like a long road to get to.

I know at least 5 guys who fly EMS that either started flight school with me or started after all civilian. When it comes to jobs it's usually always about how many flight hours you have, and in what aircraft. Building flight time can be done quickly or it can take longer than you want. For me, I worked as a flight instructor for less than a year and a half before I had enough hours to apply to one of the tour operators in NYC. At that time you needed a minimum of 1000 hours, knowing someone who already works there helps too. For EMS you're probably looking at around 2500 hours.

As far as it being hard? Not really, but if you're in an established job with a wife, kids etc... it my be a little tuff. You can expect to probably take a big pay cut, for the time you're hour building. If you can make it through that period, then you're good to go. Most guys who fly EMS work 7 days on 7 off, so not a bad schedule. Good luck to you if you decide to go for it.

Hubby is a private pilot, although not current any more (time and $$.) I was always happy sitting right seat. We both worked for an avionics company for several decades so we are very well versed in flight instrumentation - designed and implemented a number of systems on commercial aircraft. Good stuff!

The amount of pilots getting hit by lasers lately is getting out of hand. Had an Air Ambulance helo get hit on two different occasions last night.. These people should rot in prison.

Yeah I just don't get it. You have to have some motivation for that, the lasers are even illegal to buy I believe.

The amount of pilots getting hit by lasers lately is getting out of hand. Had an Air Ambulance helo get hit on two different occasions last night.. These people should rot in prison.

How does this affect pilots. I've seen some very stiff sentences for this and I don't understand the risk. Are the beams strong enough to cause a problem at that distance? If the people with them are shining them straight up, can the laser beam get to the pilot? Honestly, I don't know anything about this.

How does this affect pilots. I've seen some very stiff sentences for this and I don't understand the risk. Are the beams strong enough to cause a problem at that distance? If the people with them are shining them straight up, can the laser beam get to the pilot? Honestly, I don't know anything about this.

Laser beams are different than ordinary light sources. The intensity does not drop off much with distance, so they can be extremely bright from miles away. And the perps are not shining them straight up, they "shoot" them at angles that can hit pilots in the eyes. The flashes are bright enough to cause temporary blindness (several seconds at least.) During low level operations, a couple of seconds of blindness could potentially lead to a crash.

Laser beams are different than ordinary light sources. The intensity does not drop off much with distance, so they can be extremely bright from miles away. And the perps are not shining them straight up, they "shoot" them at angles that can hit pilots in the eyes. The flashes are bright enough to cause temporary blindness (several seconds at least.) During low level operations, a couple of seconds of blindness could potentially lead to a crash.

Ah, I see. I'm very familiar with lasers (design products with them), but I was wondering about the pilot side.

The military use lasers for various purposes (targeting). The rifle-mounted lasers are around 500mW and are only useful for about 1000 meters. I guess that's enough distance to hit an airplane approaching a runway.

I've got a really high-powered green laser that my kids and I take out on foggy / cloudy nights. I'm really paranoid though about shining it into the sky if there's aircraft anywhere.

Ah, I see. I'm very familiar with lasers (design products with them), but I was wondering about the pilot side.

The military use lasers for various purposes (targeting). The rifle-mounted lasers are around 500mW and are only useful for about 1000 meters. I guess that's enough distance to hit an airplane approaching a runway.

I've got a really high-powered green laser that my kids and I take out on foggy / cloudy nights. I'm really paranoid though about shining it into the sky if there's aircraft anywhere.

Here is a good blog post playing down the hype of lasers. Still bad to do but good reading https://jethead.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/airline-scare-in-the-air-laser-mythology/

I'm a commercial pilot with single & muli-engine land and instrument ratings. I've been flying for 19 years and I'm a partner in a nice Cessna 182.

Now that I'm retired from my primary job, I'm working on getting experience in a Pilatus PC-12 turboprop and a few light business jets. The goal is to do some corporate contract flying in my retirement.

I'm a military pilot and have been doing it for 13 years. Flying is my first love and my wife is jealous of that ;). I couldn't imagine not flying almost every day, and thankfully the cost for me is free...well on the wallet that is

I am an Air Traffic Controller at my day job, aviation enthusiast/aspiring pilot during the time I am not at work, and a brewer on the weekend. Do we have any folks around that fit into the category?

Those that do know, it is a community full of pride and obsessions much like brewing and I would love to see who is on here.

Im actually and Air Traffic Controller as well! Im in the Air Force currently, but was picked up with the FAA on this last bid. Cant wait to cross over into the civilian sector in early 2017.

Back