Do they like the beer or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
Here's the dilemma. I make the beer. It takes time and I love DOING it. When I offer the stuff they drink it, and like it. Then they tell me .."well, you work so hard on it, we don't want to drink it all up..." :confused:

My beer tastes good, is good. My brother in law who drinks alot told me it was some of the best lager he'd ever tasted, then helped us take care of a 12, so I know its good. I've had this with the 24's I work with who drink BUD LIGHT and try a wheat or stout. That I can understand. What's with the rest of them? Ever had this problem?

Man, just be glad they do that! I have a brother in law who comes over and seeks out the homebrew. He brings Busch light to drink, but when was the last time you saw a black Busch Light in a glass? I'm flattered that he likes it, but I'd like to be able to keep some for myself.
Do you, or have you ever explained the brewing process to them? It might be that they feel like you've got a lot of time invested and that you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

That, or they just can't dig homebrew.:(

If the problem is that your homebrew isn't disappearing fast enought let me know... I have family out your way and would be willing to take care of the problem for you next time I am visiting.
You should just tell them that you make it for it to be enjoyed... or that at 5 gal a batch you make too much to finish on your own and are more than happy to let them have a few... or.. the tricky way of finding out if they really like it buy some BMC (I can't believe I just typed that without gagging) put it in your fridge next to the home brew and next time they are over tell them to help themselves to whatever..... wait.. nevermind cause if they know good beer you will be stuck with BMC in your fridge.. hmmm

SpamDog

One of the first questions most of the guys that visit ask is what I have on tap. Some of SWMBO's friends ask too. I always make sure to invite new guests to try, but make sure they know that I'm not at all offended if they don't like it - it's not for everyone.

Well I have roomates and the game we play is the last one to get a beer from the tap (empties the keg) must make the next batch.. The system works pretty well when people own up to killing the keg and not leaving it for me to find empty when i get home from work...... bastards

Some people just don't care for home brew (they prefer light American swill) and will just drink your beer to be polite. Don't sweat it; there's more left over for you.

SpamDog said:
If the problem is that your homebrew isn't disappearing fast enought let me know... I have family out your way and would be willing to take care of the problem for you next time I am visiting.
You should just tell them that you make it for it to be enjoyed... or that at 5 gal a batch you make too much to finish on your own and are more than happy to let them have a few... or.. the tricky way of finding out if they really like it buy some BMC (I can't believe I just typed that without gagging) put it in your fridge next to the home brew and next time they are over tell them to help themselves to whatever..... wait.. nevermind cause if they know good beer you will be stuck with BMC in your fridge.. hmmm

SpamDog

I tried this before, no doubt, my friends are not "just being nice" they are sneaking my homebrews out of the fridge sometimes hoping I won't notice how many they are drinking.

A buddy of mine from waaay back comes up here to visit occasionally, and I'm proud to say that my homebrew changed his mind on beer. He's a Bud Light drinker primarily. He brought some MGD with him (gets it free, he works at the Miller plant in Eden, NC) and after having a couple of my brews last time he cracks open a MGD and goes, "Wow, this stuff really does taste bad".

We usually kill a few of mine whenever he's around.

I have to admit, though, I actually like MGD to some degree. It's like having a couple crackers after drinking the roast beef dinner that is my porter :D

Back