Do these look crushed enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHA, rolling pin method sucks! I didn't get 5 wacks into it when I just went for the coffee grinder (works well). Jeeze dudes, use common sense. This ain't microbiology, its engineering... ha

Actually does a coffee grinder pulverise to much? Or why exactly is it bad/not ideal?

noobrewer said:
HAHA, rolling pin method sucks! I didn't get 5 whacks into it when I just went for the coffee grinder (works well). Jeeze dudes, use common sense. This ain't microbiology, its engineering... ha

Actually does a coffee grinder pulverize to much? Or why exactly is it bad/not ideal?

Bad idea? Never tried it, but I have had a stuck sparge due to grain that was ground too finely in a hand crank mill. My wife and I are coffee snobs and have a burr grinder, not one of those blade choppers that will change the flavor of the bean. It will do a very course grind that you could use in a tea ball or will grind it in to a fine powder for use in a traditional cappuccino maker that you put on your stove.

It could work, but have you ever tried to clean all of the coffee dust out of a big bean grinder? PITA, plus it would have taken me more than 45min per batch of grain. I think having a very hard and heavy, stone rolling pin helped speed things up.

edit: sorry, can't spell before 6AM

Back