Do the characteristics of the krausen indicate anything about the finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
Every krausen seems to look/behave differently. Right now I've got a beautiful, frothy, creamy looking krausen on a Dales Pale Ale clone using US-05 yeast. It started out slow but then it really took off and almost went into the blow off tube. It is slowly receding now after 4 days since the yeast was pitched, but it looks like its going to hang around for a while.

I'm just wondering if any of the characteristics of the krausen (color, consistency, amount, persistence, etc.) are indicative of anything in the final product? Like maybe a krausen that just won't quit means more there are more proteins/better head retention in the finished beer - just an example, I really have no idea - that's why I'm asking!

This is a great question. Assuming a perfect world of repeatable processes, environment and ingredients, I do wonder if a visual check indicates consistency.

Every krausen seems to look/behave differently. Right now I've got a beautiful, frothy, creamy looking krausen on a Dales Pale Ale clone using US-05 yeast. It started out slow but then it really took off and almost went into the blow off tube. It is slowly receding now after 4 days since the yeast was pitched, but it looks like its going to hang around for a while.

I'm just wondering if any of the characteristics of the krausen (color, consistency, amount, persistence, etc.) are indicative of anything in the final product? Like maybe a krausen that just won't quit means more there are more proteins/better head retention in the finished beer - just an example, I really have no idea - that's why I'm asking!

There are so many variables that go into the production and appearance of a krausen that I think it would be hard to draw any meaningful conclusion. The yeast, the wort, the temperature, the fermenter geometry, there's a lot going on.

I'd be very skeptical about drawing conclusions about any claims that it's predictive of the finished product, but you could always take notes and see if you come up with any ideas!

Back