Do people like Beck's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I had some this weekend because my brother-in-law likes it. Man, it seriously tasted like skunked Perrier. Do people like that stuff? Does it actually taste good if it's not skunked?

This was the 64-calorie "Premier Light" so maybe that has something to do with it.

Common topic lately...

The skunk is a by-product of poor storage during importation. People have come to associate that flavor with good imported beer since it has become so common. I've heard that Heineken actually does it intentionally to their export beer because it's such an expectation among naive American beer drinkers. Beck's is a decent lager if stored properly - just like Heineken, Grolsch, et al...

I agree with Yuri. If you purchase it warm and control the temp it's fine. If you order it in a pub (draft or bottles, doesn't matter) and they hand it to you at something like 38 degrees, it tastes like hell imho.

This stuff was nasty to me though, I would have rather had Millter Lite out of a can. :)

The only way I can stand to drink heineken is to buy the mini keg cans which you can't really expose to UV rays too well through the aluminum.

I used to drink a lot of Beck's.

It's still what I drink when I got to most bars/clubs, it's usually the best beer available.

But yeah, I've gone off it a lot lately.

I bought a case of Sleeman's Cream Ale this weekend. I was in clear bottles and quite skunky. It cost me almost $22 for a dozen bottles so I drank it anyway. It wasns't until I got it home and tasted it that I realized that I had bought it on my way home and the beer vendor was just outside a trailer park. Not that you can't drink good beer and live in a trailer but it's possible that the stock wasn't very fresh.

gresc said:
But really ! Does anyone actually have a brother-in-law that appreciates a good home brew ?

It can happen! My brother-in-law used to drink exclusively Corona when he drank beer at all. Now he helps me brew almost every batch. We're still working on his hop appreciation. :)

I used to drink Beck's Dark.... then my testicles dropped and realized there was a lot better I could be drinking .......and brewing

Bandit112 said:
Not a fan of Beck's, although their Oktoberfest isn't half bad
True. I had it two years ago as the last beer in a line of O'fest at a local O'fest event. It turned out to be the best of the bunch! I now will get one if offered.

But normally, I look for Sam Adams before I do Beck's, Heiny's, etc.

Has anyone else tried Beck's Gold? My friend brought some back from Germany, and I have to say, it was pretty good.

Everyones taste differs. who says I should like what you like and who says you should like what I like.
We brew different beers... we drink different beers.

I like most commercial brews as well as my own, but I don't try to tell people what they like.

Having said that... Bud and Coors suck!

I like the "unique" flavor of Becks. Same as St. Pauli Girl...Lowenbrow (sp), etc...

And I even ...close your eyes Yuri...

Sometimes like to ...don't look Beerific...

Take it upon myself to peek at your own risk people...

Skunk my own beers..... :rockin:

skunked_2.jpg

45 minutes or so in some glorious morning sunlight and it's like I'm back in college again...

Wow. That is absolutely awesome, BierMuncher! You take love of beer to a whole new level. I think that some homebrewers tend to have a little beer snobbery at times. I try to take it all in stride and realize that there is a place in the beer world even for American light lagers. Your enjoyment of the beer skunk is admirable, and a testament to the saying "To each, their own."

Cheers to beer skunk. :mug:

dibby33 said:
What is the bottle second from the left?
That was my first ever Ole Speckled Hen.

AWESOME beer. I'm just looking for a suitable sub for Lyle's Golden Syrup to do Orfy's clone.

An added bonus??? The label just rinsed right off under hot water. :D

BierMuncher said:
Take it upon myself to peek at your own risk people...

Skunk my own beers..... :rockin:

45 minutes or so in some glorious morning sunlight and it's like I'm back in college again...

I want to party with you, but only because you're nutz. I'll bring my own beer.

:rockin:

:( I'm sorry, but I just can't stand a skunky beer,never had a Corona,Heineken,Becks or any other beer that had sat out in the sun too long that I liked. :drunk:

gresc said:
But really ! Does anyone actually have a brother-in-law that appreciates a good home brew ?

My BIL LOVES my beer and usually drinks craft brews. He wants to start brewing eventually. Can't complain at all - good guy

BierMuncher said:

attachment.php

You are the rebel. Now you just need to soak those puppies in some StarSan so it can be labeled Biermunchers Gold!

BierMuncher said:
... I'm just looking for a suitable sub for Lyle's Golden Syrup to do Orfy's clone.
:off: You should be able to find it in your mega-mart style grocery store. They now sell it in a bottle here in the states, but I've seen it in the traditional cans, too. Sometimes, you have to look in the Ethnic aisle of the store.

Rhoobarb said:
That would be a good sub, IMO. Forgot to mention Whole Foods carries Lyle's.
Yeah. I found some at World Market. bout $4,79 for an 11 Oz jar. sheesh. Just after I bought the stuff, I ran over to the LHBS and the prop there gave me the ABC's about DIY invert sugar. Lessen learned. This time I'll bite it and use the real thing, but next time... Man I love Old Speckled Hen. I hope this turns out.

EdWort said:
...You are the rebel. Now you just need to soak those puppies in some StarSan so it can be labeled Biermunchers Gold!

You're close. I named it "Gold Rush Ale". That is the preskunked version anyway. Maybe this one will be "Fools Gold".

Turns out the normal version of this beer is the smoothest house beer I've brewed yet. Very very mellow. Almost a little too commercial in h ow drinkable it is, but the SWMBO loves it and at 4%, makes a nice session.

Back