Do most craft breweries use pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
Like the title says do most the great craft breweries use pellet or whole hops? I don't want to debate which one is better because there is no right answer they are both great but just carious who uses what?

Like the title says do most the great craft breweries use pellet or whole hops? I don't want to debate which one is better because there is no right answer they are both great but just carious who uses what?

yes, very few breweries use whole hops Sierra nevada does for the flag ship pale ale, and they bottle condition

Pellets are easier to use, that's not debatable...whole hops are a PITA and any minor gain(which I'm not convinced of) is not worth the added hassel.

Sierra Nevada uses whole hops exclusively I believe.

It just depends on the brewery.

I personally like pellets myself because they're compact and do not spoil as fast.

But I only dry hop with whole.

i've found using leaf increases aroma big time. ive had craft IPA's with that huge aroma and some without. but that could just be their additions timing.

in my experience i'd say leaf for aroma and pellets for bittering. but this could be wrong and im sure somebody will say so. but just what i've found in my limited brewing experience.

Most use pellets. The answer to every question is "it depends"..but in the case of your question: "do most the great craft breweries use pellet or whole hops?"

The answer is, most use pellet hops if possible. In some cases they'll use whatever they can get if it's a hard to get hop, but most of them would prefer pellets.....at least that's my experience.

Storage space is greatly helped by pellet. While whole hops take up a ton of space. I want to say Victory, and maybe Boulevard use whole cone as well. Anchor Brewing mostly uses whole leaf/cone as well. Maybe some pellet for smaller runs. Ninkasi uses pellet other than one-off wet hop beers.

Does anyone know what Russian River uses? I'm carious if they dry hop with whole hops or pellets?

Back