Do magnets interfere with fan operation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I'm building a stir plate and I've heard that the magnets can interfere with the proper operation of the computer fan motor, but it seems like the majority of stir plates on here have them glued directly to the fan hub.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

Over time it could harm the motor. But it won't fry it for some time, if ever. Many variables.

There are lots of threads on here and the interwebs... I mounted my fan to the bottom of the enclosure and used a small piece of PVC pipe as a spacer. That would solve any worry about magnetic interference

I'm building a stir plate and I've heard that the magnets can interfere with the proper operation of the computer fan motor, but it seems like the majority of stir plates on here have them glued directly to the fan hub.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

If the magnets are too strong and too close to the motor winding you can interfere with the motor's own magnetic field.

First pass on my stir plate I tried gluing them directly to the fan and the fan wouldn't rotate at all. However, i did buy some fairly strong NdFeB magnets. Solved by cutting 1/2" PVC spacers and gluing the magnets to them. Stir plate still works to this day.

My magnets are mounted directly to the fan hub and I think in my case, it does interfere with the motor. I've been too lazy to take it apart and put a spacer in, but I think I need to. I will eventually, but I definitely would use a spacer if I built another.

My magnets are rare earth and are very strong.

Thanks,
Instead of taking a chance at directly mounting it, I made a 1.5 inch spacer with pvc, it works great, very well balanced too.

Back