Do-It-Youself Wort Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
Any make a wort chiller on your own?

My cousin told me her husband made one on her own, but I was a fool not to ask specifics. Here recently I have started thinking about getting one myself.

Now I'm wondering, how hard is it bend copper and make one on your own?

The hose part is no problem for me, nor is the faucet adapter, but I'm just wonering what a random posters thoughts are.

It's really really really easy to make one on your own. Tons of threads about this and instructions all over the intrawebs.

I recall that Bobby M has a You Tube video that shows how to make a quality wort chiller, plus, there are other You Tube videos regarding wort chillers.

I made my own, it was a simple project. I wish that I had made the diameter of the chiller a little larger so the entire chiller would be submerged into the wort.

Good Luck...

I recall that Bobby M has a You Tube video that shows how to make a quality wort chiller, plus, there are other You Tube videos regarding wort chillers.

I made my own, it was a simple project. I wish that I had made the diameter of the chiller a little larger so the entire chiller would be submerged into the wort.

Good Luck...

Here is the link to Bobby M. video. It looks very easy.

I built a counterflow chiller and it was very easy too. Bobby M posted the procedure on the DIY projects. Just follow the instructions. He did a great job explaining the process.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/counterflow-chiller-tutorial-51793/

Good luck!:rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, thanks guys.

Dont know why I skipped the search function before posting this. My apologies.

But AWESOME!

Creating the coil is very easy. I just recently built my IC. I used a 5 gallon bucket as a form (I made sure it would fit in my kettle first). Just lay the tubing out on the floor, then roll it around the form. I made the final bends (to run the tubing out of the kettle) by hand. Just take it slow and be very careful not to kink the tubing when bending by hand.

I also made a prechiller at the same time. I used a smaller bucket that fit inside the IC coils as a form for that one. Now I can store the IC and prechiller inside my kettle. :D

Ah, thanks guys.

Dont know why I skipped the search function before posting this. My apologies.

But AWESOME!

If everyone used the search and didn't ask questions then the forum would rarely have any new posts. IMHO

Back