Do I really need a Sparge Arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
I am going to be building a RIMS system. I will start another thread in the DIY forum in a day or two. I am patterning the system after the Brew-Magic system (two tier). I noticed they do not use a sparge arm. I was going to make a sparge arm out of some 3/8" copper pipe but is it necessary to have a sparge arm?

Not really. You just need a way to return the wort to the mash. Here's my return line. When I'm pumping, the wort swirls around on top of the mash, so I know I'm not drilling holes down in the grain bed. That's really what you want to avoid.

I just use 1/2" diamater Loc Line as my HERMS return AND my fly sparge water return... I get 85% eff. so it must work.

Think about it, if you are returning your sparge water below the level of the water in the MLT, what is the need to sprinkle it on top? Sparge arms simply sprinkle water on top of about 2" of water. Introducing the sparge water below the level of the fluid in the MLT will accomplish the same thing.

Not really. You just need a way to return the wort to the mash. Here's my return line. When I'm pumping, the wort swirls around on top of the mash, so I know I'm not drilling holes down in the grain bed. That's really what you want to avoid.

I just use 1/2" diamater Loc Line as my HERMS return AND my fly sparge water return... I get 85% eff. so it must work.

Think about it, if you are returning your sparge water below the level of the water in the MLT, what is the need to sprinkle it on top? Sparge arms simply sprinkle water on top of about 2" of water. Introducing the sparge water below the level of the fluid in the MLT will accomplish the same thing.

Good point Gents......I'm gonna nix the Sparge Arm

I put together a manifold that works for both the recirculation return and the sparge. It has four outlets for a gentle return flow and it can be easily adjusted vertically for different kettle volumes. The 90's on the ends are angled to create a gentle swirl for more uniform distribution. The 90's are not glued on so they can be rotated as desired for optimum performance.

3231579929_9a9aa0fcd0.jpg

3387885006_13a6fcdae7.jpg

3387073293_66d453dd6c.jpg

3387074563_9562897f55.jpg

The cost for the CPVC, fittings and cross bar was only about $5.00 or so. Works like a charm.

When I try swirling I get a whirlpool effect and my grain collects as a cone, thus reducing the thickness of the grainbed.

The wort doesn't come out clear like that.

This thread is 6 years old... im sure the people involved made their decisions but...

Sparge arms are for fly sparging not batch sparging and honestly are one of those things that work better in theory than practice in many cases... I use one made of locline but a regular silicone hose worked just as well really.

Back