Do I need to worry about tannin extraction for starter wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
I'm new to Ag and my plan for today is to brew my batch as normal but up the water temp and do an extra sparge in order to get some extra wort to make a starter with(for future batches). I'll be decanting, in fact washing..how much do I need to worry about tannin extraction?

FYI, my yeast propogation process is make a 2000ml starter(stir plate) from a vial, decant, wash, split into 4 mason jars.

Tannin extraction is more pH than temperature issue.
Try to keep pH of sparge water under 6 and you"ll be on safe side. With proper pH, temperature under 170 will help too, but if your pH is huge above 6 you are likely to extract tannins no mater what temperature is.

Do you drink your starter 'beer'? I don't, so I wouldn't be worried about tannin extraction. However, I don't know what kind of gravity wort you'll be getting out of the last runnings. Mine is usually around 1.010-1.012, pretty weak sauce.

I dont drink it, as I said I decant and actually will be washing this yeast. It may not be a high enough gravity. If its anywhere close, ill boil it down. Otherwise Ive got a bunch of extract laying around.

I collect my last runnings from the mash to use for future starters. What you are going to find is that you will have to add extract to get your gravity up because this wort is gonna be around 1.01. But i find it saves time to have my starter wort premade. I put it up in quart jars and pressure can them. I usually poor off most of the starter beer before adding to my new brews so i've never noticed any flavor issues.

Back