Do I need to wait until I see no bubbles whatsoever to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently making a batch of apfelwein, and it's past the two week mark and still bubbling. It's in a cold basement, so that's probably to be expected. I think it's too much of a pain to check the gravity (ie sanitizing the hydrometer and everything), so should I not bother until I can no longer see tiny bubbles on the inside of the carboy and/or in the airlock? Or are there still bubbles at the end, meaning I should ignore what I see and use the hydrometer?

If it matters, I tested the gravity about three days ago (I had a batch of starsan ready for making a brew of Citrus Weisen), and it's at 1.020, with a target of .998. Does gravity tend to change linearly or geometrically (meaning it'd be speeding up now)?

PS: I'd still wait a week or two for the yeast to fall to the bottom, for clarity. Just trying to figure out the process.

Check the gravity again and see where its at. I wouldn't base it off of bubbles at all. Checking the gravity is the best way to go. If its still dropping, it isn't ready. If it is still at 1.020, then I'd say the yeast is done. What was the OG? Could be that the yeast died because of too much alchohol and you may need to pitch extra yeast to get the gravity to drop. Also, .998 means it is less dense than water. Seems really, really low.

your airlock only indicates that CO2 is being released, that doesn't mean much. afelwein takes a while, I would give it at least a month especially if it is cold. I am guessing you have a ways to go.

typically the bubbles stop (if you got bubbles during fermentation, sometimes things are not sealed enough to get bubbles in the airlock) before fermentation is done. The only real way to tell if it's done is to do the gravity check. I've found that my gravity lowers slower towards the end, not faster.

typically the bubbles stop (if you got bubbles during fermentation, sometimes things are not sealed enough to get bubbles in the airlock) before fermentation is done. The only real way to tell if it's done is to do the gravity check. I've found that my gravity lowers slower towards the end, not faster.

You can also have the situation where bubbles are forming because of the weather. A stable gravity reading is the only certainty. Fermentation tends to slow because it is getting more difficult for the yeast to absorb the sugars as the ABV rises. My batch stopped at 0.995 after 6 weeks.

Back