Do I need to stabilize again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
Elsewhere on here I have posted my progress with my Chocolate Mead. At one year I took it off of the lees and I put in ¾ tsp of Potassium Sorbate as a stabilizer to the 2 1/2 gal of mead.

It is now another year and I am thinking of bottling. Some of it I will back sweeten with some of the same honey I made the mead with.

Should I stabilize it again?

I would say you're probably safe, but that's a pretty low dose of sorbate. I agree with using the smallest amount possible (as it does have a slight taste), but the dose I commonly see used is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

After all this time, it's probably ok but I wouldn't bottle right after sweetening, just in case!

Thanks Yopper. I am looking forward to giving it a taste this week. I was also looking at my log for this mead I am wondering if the % of alcohol might be a higher than I like. I need to work through the calculations again,

Back