Do I need to rack to secondary for lagering (as opposed to keeping it on the yeast)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobev

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm making the "Molasses Marzen" from Calagione's Extreme Brewing. You can find the recipe about halfway down the page here, for reference.

It's been fermenting in primary at 50° since I brewed in on July 5th (so just under a month). I diacetyl rested it at 60° from Tuesday evening til this morning (About 36 hours), and it's definitely fully fermented.

I plan to lager it at 40° for about 6 or 7 weeks before kegging.

This morning, as I went to turn down my thermostat to 40°, I realized that maybe I should have racked it off the yeast to a clean fermenter.

I pitched a starter of healthy yeast when I started fermenting, and it seems like (from the consensus online) I shouldn't be running much a risk for autolysis.

So the question: Should I rack it? Can I just keep it on the yeast in the primary? Does it matter?

Thanks.

You can get some yeasty flavors that aren't real good compliments with lagers, especially for 6 to 7 additional weeks. That is actually probably longer than what you would do for a normal ale that long, even with a good starter.

Why do you say that? What risk do I run by not doing it?

A lager is characterized by the "clean" flavor and crisp finish. A lager is without any yeast character. Leaving it for months on a yeast cake will impart some flavor characteristics. It may not be terrible, but it won't be a super clean and crisp lager.

I would NOT go to all the trouble of fermenting a lager, just to be inattentive and not bother racking it after the diacetyl rest. It takes like 15 minutes to rack it to a sanitized carboy and to get ready for lagering.

Leaving a lager on a yeast cake for three months is pretty lazy. I rack on day 10-14, as soon as fermentation is finished and the diacetyl rest is done.

A lager is characterized by the "clean" flavor and crisp finish. A lager is without any yeast character. Leaving it for months on a yeast cake will impart some flavor characteristics. It may not be terrible, but it won't be a super clean and crisp lager.

I would NOT go to all the trouble of fermenting a lager, just to be inattentive and not bother racking it after the diacetyl rest. It takes like 15 minutes to rack it to a sanitized carboy and to get ready for lagering.

Leaving a lager on a yeast cake for three months is pretty lazy. I rack on day 10-14, as soon as fermentation is finished and the diacetyl rest is done.
Okay! Point taken. I don't have the siphon & clean fermenter with me today, though.

Any harm done in waiting til tomorrow? (ie, already been down to 40° for ~24 hours)?

Back