Do I need to purchase stopper with flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
I'm ordering few hop bags from online brewing shop, and found out the shipping cost > hop bags. So I'm just gonna order a flask for yeast starter that I will eventually use one day, but not sure if I have to purchase the stopper(or lid) too. It cost few bucks, not a big deal, but want to spend them on other, more important thing if they are not essential. I'm asking this because I always see those flasks with foils on, not an actual lid. Thanks!

You still need to vent a starter or CO₂ will build up and it has to go somewhere.
Use sanitized foam stoppers or tin foil, but certainly don't use something airtight.

You still need to vent a starter or CO₂ will build up and it has to go somewhere.
Use sanitized foam stoppers or tin foil, but certainly don't use something airtight.

Thanks! It's an airtight one so I'll just buy the flask without it.

You could get a drilled stopper and attach an airlock. I just spray some Starsan on a piece of aluminum foil and loosely cover the flask. The guy from my LHBS says he doesn't even spray Starsan and has never had any problems. I used to use a foam stopper but had a pretty active starter once and the foam got all stuck to the flask and basically had to be thrown away. Ever since I've been using foil with no issues.

Tin foil works great.

I've bought cheap flasks on ebay a few times. They are a lot cheaper than new. Just make sure you know what they've been used for before you buy them.

Agree with everyone on needing airflow. I use foil, and just pass it through the flame in the same way I do with my slants or first-step wort tubes. You do have to do it quickly and not rest long, however, or you'll just fry the foil. Ask me how I know.

Thanks guys! Can't wait to make my first yeast starter :)

Back