Do I need to pitch fresh yeast on my 9 month aged Bret beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
I have a Belgian beer that started with regular Belgian yeast then I transferred to a bucket and added Wyeast 5526 Brettanomyces lambicus. It has aged for nine months. I want to re-ferment in a a bottle using fresh wort from a current batch. Should I pitch fresh neutral yeast (safale us-05 for instance) into the fresh wort and combine at high Krausen mix with the aged beer and bottle or simply add the fresh wort and bottle and let the bret take care of the carbonation.

I would have thought there would be enough Brett in suspension. I'm interested in this too since I am about to bottle my first Brett beer too.

edited / wrong thread.

on topic, i don't think you can go wrong dosing in any case, if the yeast is too much, it'll just fall out... little can't hurt. i plan on dosing my lambic when i bottle

It will almost certainly carbonate on its own, but neutral ale yeast will speed things up.

I’d suggest just using regular priming or table sugar for carbonation. It is hard to predict how much of the “unfermentables” in the wort the Brett will consume in the long term, leading to over-carbonation. Otherwise you’ll have to aim low, and it could be a couple months even with the ale yeast until the beer reaches full carbonation.

I had a lambic that I pitched 3278 in. Bottled it 2 years later w/o fresh yeast. Carbonated fine.

Back