Do I need to pasteurize frozen apple juice concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting ready to backsweeten and bottle my first batch, and I'm using frozen apple juice concentrate as the backsweetener. It's not pasteurized, and I'm wondering if I need to boil it before adding it to my cider. Thanks!

No, just pour it in. If you haven't added sulfite and sorbate, you may need to pasteurize it later to prevent the yeast from eating the sugar.

Pasteurization is typically done at two different stages. Cider mills pasteurize cider and juice to kill any wild yeast and other beasties that are in the juice. Cidermakers rarely pasteurize unfermented juice. Cidermakers sometimes pasteurize bottled cider or just before bottling to kill any yeast. Backsweetening a cider will often restart fermentation unless you do something to prevent the yeast from eating the added sugar. Adding sulfite and sorbate, pasteurization, and sterile filtering are a few of the methods.

Latest posts

Back