Do I need to keep the airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a week into my first brew and after reading alot of post on here, I decided to go with a blow-off tube set up during the first week of fermentation. I was planning on not using a secondary and replacing the blow-off with an airlock after the first week for the rest of the time it's in the carboy. Is this necessary? Why couldn't I just leave the blow-off tube/bucket of sanitizer setup on the whole time and not worry about clogged airlocks, explosions, etc.....?? Does it leave to much pressure in the carboy? I dunno....just seems like it'll be less to worry about.....

I replace the blowoff tube and bucket once fermentation settles down. I find that the foam and yeast that blows off into your bucket has a strong smell that builds up profoundly in my fermentation room, even though the room is vented. Plus, all the crusty looking dried kraeusen just looks nasty and cleanup is harder the longer you go. Also, once the explosive phase of fermentation is over, it won't start back up again.

But... you can just leave the blowoff tube/bucket on if you want. There's no reason you have to switch to an airlock.

Two common reasons to switch are

1 cleanlyness as stated

2 airlock is easier to move around than the blow off tube and bucket

Two common reasons to switch are

1 cleanlyness as stated

2 airlock is easier to move around than the blow off tube and bucket

3) It looks like less of a meth lab if you don't have hoses going everywhere

3) It looks like less of a meth lab if you don't have hoses going everywhere

That's the best reason yet. What's even funnier is the room I have my fermenter in, is the same room by fuge is in for my 220 saltwater tank. Bright light on all night....(I'm sure from the street it looks like a 'grow' bulb for pot plants through the blinds....). Been waiting for the knock for several years from the police...I guess the hose contraption might just push 'em over the edge...LMAO.....:cross:

That's the best reason yet. What's even funnier is the room I have my fermenter in, is the same room by fuge is in for my 220 saltwater tank. Bright light on all night....(I'm sure from the street it looks like a 'grow' bulb for pot plants through the blinds....). Been waiting for the knock for several years from the police...I guess the hose contraption might just push 'em over the edge...LMAO.....:cross:

Your keeping the light off your wort right? If not....better put some think blankets or something over it to block out light...and just keep an eye on the temp if you do.

Back