Do I need to crush all specialty grains for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
I am on my fifth batch of extract. I have used specialty grains in all but my first. I thought that I read a book or an article about how milling some grains is not necessary. One source wrote something about how some grains are to rigid (black patent maybe?). I believe that another said that it was not necessary at all for some. Am I remembering wrong? I have been cracking all my grain with a rolling pin and am wondering if I should crush all my specialty grains. Have I been doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you should crush all of your grains that you use for specialty grains. Even though you aren't after extract potential with the specialty grains, you should crush them; you are only after color from the grains. I would think you aren't using that much in specialty grains (maybe a pound or 2, tops), so crushing them with a rolling pin and putting them in a steeping bag will be adequate.

you should absolutely mill specialty grain, the only grains I can think of that dont need to be milled are like flaked oats or flaked wheat, because they are not contained within a hull.

Back