Do I need to build hop bag with fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
If i am going to have a full boil w a turkey fryer, can i just throw in the hop bag or will it burn on the bottom? Must i construct the plastic pipe with poles to hold the hops? Thanks in advance all.

You don't need a hop bag at all...you can just toss the hops in the pot. But some of us like keeping the spent hops out of our fermenters, and in my case out of my plate chiller.

The PVC strainer rigs are nice, as they not only keep the bag off the bottom but they allow good flow and circulation of wort through the bag. But is it absolutely necessary? Nope.

I just throw the hops loose in the boil kettle then use a jumbo mesh bag in the bucket to filter out the hops. Once you've dumped the wort into the mesh bag pull it out and remove the hops from the wort. However a fancy hop bag holder will work also.

Craig

ahh great ideas thanks guys, but you would say no to using a hop sock/grain bag and tossing it in? It will probably sit on the bottom and burn im guessing. Loose hops thrown in seems best but what a mess when transferring to kettle, which i intend to do. ill need a huge mesh bag to put in a kettle like you CBBaron, or maybe just the grain sock will work?

I've used a nylon before and it was bounced around pretty good by the boil. Every few seconds it made an appearance on the top of the kettle.

If you use a paint strainer bag in the kettle, you can just use a clothespin to secure the top of the bag, no biggie. I've also used some wire I had in the garage to secure the hop bag to the kettle handle.

+1 on loose hops in kettle and mesh bag in fermenting bucket.

It will probably sit on the bottom and burn im guessing.

I expect that in a good rolling boil, the bag will be kept moving around pretty good and not burn...having never tried it though, I can't say for sure.

You could just clip it to the side, but you're not going to get as much circulation through your hops. Plus, you've got to open it up each time you make a hop addition, or use another bag.

I've got no regrets with my strainer rig...cost about $5.00 and 20 minutes to make, keeps the bag suspended and moving freely, and hop additions are as easy as dumping them in the top.

Blind is there a DIY that you followed? $5 is cheap and i got the time, im laid off

I just bought a PVC reducer, drilled three equidistant holes around the perimeter of the wider section, and attached three threaded rods with nuts and washers. I also put nuts and washers at the end of two of the rods, which help keep the rig centered, and can be adjusted to fit different pots. The paint-strainer is fed through from the bottom, folded over the top and held securely with a large hose clamp.

It doesn't have to be exactly like this...various people have made simpler versions, and more complex versions as well.

boil6.jpg

Thanks for the pic, BLL. That's a genius approach. I'm going to start scrounging...

Just to be clear, it's not my original idea. I built mine a little differently, but the concept has been around a long time.

This thread has pictures of a few different construction methods. Sadly, the OP's pics seem to be gone.

Hop Bag Thread

Perfect i bought everything, just need to drill the holes and assemble. 10 bucks with strainers inc. Lowes... Nice! Also: I had the 5 gal bags in my hand at the register and went and switched em up for 1 gal.. its like a milk bottle size hanging down... its only a 30qt pot and it will be fully submerged so im guessing this is fine. 5 gall would be HUGE, i dont have a keggle

here's a good how-to video i found. I built mine based on this design, used it for the first time last night, works great!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxuooOKe4o]YouTube - Making a Hop Bag[/ame]

I did it with the 3 threaded steel bars it wont melt its pretty much just as cheap at 3 bucks for all 3 bars... and also more stable than one, it also doesnt have any bar running thru the middle for your hops to bounce off or just get in ur way. I love mine, cant wait to use it today!

Back