Do I need to boil flaked wheat b4 adding to mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
New to the all grain scene. Found a great recipe I wanna try, it calls for some flaked wheat. A home brewer friend told me to use regular Quaker oats (I got the big Costco bag) and to boil them before adding to mash tun.

Is this a normal practice? Or do you just add the oats (uncooked) with the rest of your crushed grains to your mash tun?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No need to boil the instant oats (or the flaked oats from the home brew shop.) Dump them in the mash. I'd suggest you get your self some rice hulls. The mash will get pretty mushy and be hard to drain without the hulls.

Are you using flaked wheat, or flaked oats? If you're using Quaker oats, they should be cooked first, unless they are quick oats or instant oats. If you're using flaked wheat, that is already gelatinized. Flaked wheat is often used to help with head retention. Flaked oats are oily, and give a creamy mouthfeel. They are not interchangeable.

New to the all grain scene. Found a great recipe I wanna try, it calls for some flaked wheat. A home brewer friend told me to use regular Quaker oats (I got the big Costco bag) and to boil them before adding to mash tun.

Is this a normal practice? Or do you just add the oats (uncooked) with the rest of your crushed grains to your mash tun?

I'm confused. You started by saying your recipe called for flaked wheat then jumped to using flaked oats. While both can be used w/o boiling in your mash & I agree you'll need to add rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge you'll get two very different contributions to your brew from oats vs wheat.

Back