Do I need the Ale Pail???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can ferment in a carboy, given the correct size. If you are brewing 5 gallon batches, you'll need a 6.5 gallon carboy to ferment in.

sure, some brewers ferm in a bucket but most use carboys/better bottles. If you're making 5 gal batches then ferm your brew in a 6.5 gal. If you only have a 5 gal then rig up a blowoff tube. If you look up at the top of the forum next to the "new posts" you'll see a "search" function. You'll get lots of help with that. :mug:

An ale pail is handy for a back up container for all sorts of things.

+1 on this, Primary, secondary, storing drinking water for a hurricane, using to collect wort doing AG batch sparges, if it gets scratches, it can be be a planter.

I was going to buy a brewing kit ie: buckets and all except kettle. I have a 5 gallon stock pot (im a chef I have these in numbers) and a guy at work got me into home brewing and has extra carboys he will sell me for ten bucks a piece. So all in all I dont need the buckets now its just nice to have them around just in case. I know ill eventually get some but for now Ill be brewing the dark stouts Ive loved for so long now.

All an Ale Pail is... is a food grade bucket. One that had pickles in it previously might be gross... but any clean, un-scratched bucket of that grade would work. THen just get an airlock, drill a hole in the lid and put in a rubber grommet... and you'd have an ale pail.

Or support your local brew store and buy one :)

A five gallon carboy primary will only yield about a 4 gallon batch, if that works for you, great. Another option might be ferm cap, which reduces the kruesen during peak ferm.

i use the ale pale to grind grain into, and the bottling bucket to soak items in.

glass carboys are fine to ferment in. i've been using five and six gallons for primaries. just rig a blow off on the fivers. and to echo bill, put them in a milk crate for the love of all that is holy!

Back