Do I Need New Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumForHire

Reaction score
I've been having some woes with a leak somewhere in my keg system. I replaced the distributor with a new Taprite system (which is wonderful) and with it new lines for both gas and liquid sides. However, what was left in my C02 tank still seemed to drain very quickly. I'm taking the opportunity of recently moving and having an empty kegerator to figure out some issues, and so I got a filled C02 tank, hooked it up to a keg, and sprayed StarSan all over the place. I didn't find any leaks.

A couple days later, I decided to clean out my already clean liquid lines in preparation of a fresh brew that will be ready later this week. One thing I noticed is that one of the faucets didn't flow as strong as the other. Then I noticed that I might be hearing some bubbling around the liquid disconnect connected to that faucet. Is it possible that gas could be leaking from the liquid disconnect? That seems kind of crazy to me, since it would more likely be that beer would be leaking out of it. But maybe it's just losing pressure and constantly refilling the keg with more gas? I haven't replaced any of the disconnects since I inherited the system about 4 years ago, and it was used equipment when I got it, so I'm wondering if I should just replace all the liquid and gas connections just to be sure. Any thoughts?

Also, the system I have uses swivels, but I was wondering if I should just get barbed disconnects to have a more solid connection. My thought is that the swivel is just one more variable in the equation, and from my experience I don't need to remove the disconnects that often to warrant the need for swivels. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

Have you tried replacing your o-rings? It is very possible that gas is leaking from the liquid post if your o-ring is bad as it could be seeping around the diptube itself.

Have you tried replacing your o-rings? It is very possible that gas is leaking from the liquid post if your o-ring is bad as it could be seeping around the diptube itself.

I actually replaced the o-rings for the kegs about 2 years ago (I did have a bad lid gasket, so I decided to replace them all at the same time). I think the posts are OK since I sprayed StarSan all over the keg, distributor, and gas lines, but I'll be sure to double-check.

I think if the keg and posts are fine, there’s no way for your liquid side to be leaking gas — if the beer side disconnect were sealing improperly but the keg was working, all you could leak would be liquid, unless I’m missing something.

Back