Do I need a starter for this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
I picked up the DFH 90 extract clone from Jasper's. It comes with Safale-04 and the OG is stated as 1.091.

I've read that with dry yeast you don't need a starter. Is this true? Should I pitch 2 packs instead?

I think that this is the wrong question to ask. The question should be, "how many packs of yeast should I use for this batch?" Dry yeast isn't better at creating yeast cells than liquid yeast packs or vials.

Mrmalty.com says that for for 5 gallons of 1.091 ale wort, you'd need about 308 billion yeast cells. That's 3.4 packs of 5 gram yeast packs, or 3.2 vials or packs of liquid yeast without a starter, or 2 vials / packs WITH a simple 2.16 liter starter, or 2 vials / packs with a 1 liter starter that has been sitting on a stir plate.

Thanks guys. I'll make sure I pitch enough. I've never rehydrated before - seems easy enough. Can I rehydrate 2 packs of yeast together, or do I need to rehydrate them seperately?

Thanks guys. I'll make sure I pitch enough. I've never rehydrated before - seems easy enough. Can I rehydrate 2 packs of yeast together, or do I need to rehydrate them seperately?

Do it together in about 2 cups of water at 90 degrees.

Back