Do I need a Lauter Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I am very new to AG and I am still doing extract. I read all the extract and beginner threads but I only skimmed this partial mash and AG and didnt see an answer or thread like this. I want to get a mash tun cooler. But do i really need 2? I did some reading and it says that its to just sprinkle hot water in. Cant i just close the spigot and dump some hot water in and stir then cap and open spigot again?

Sure can... sparging doesnt have to be fancy.

Do a batch sparge...

Mash
Drain
Infuse with more sparge water
Stir
Drain

Done!

If you do want to fly sparge (sprinkling water in) you dont necessarily need a lauter tun. I use my bottling bucket which has a spigot on the bottom. The only problem is the amount of heat that is lost with no insulation. You'll need to heat your sparge water higher than what you want because it's going to cool down significantly in the 30-45 min it takes to fly sparge.

I would suggest batch sparging as described above.

I also describe the one pot, one cooler batch sparge process in this All Grain article.

There's a minor issue with your terminology in that a lauter tun is the vessel that has the separation medium installed and most of us that use a cooler mash and lauter in the same vessel. I think what you're talking about is a hot liquor tank (HLT) that most fly spargers may use to hold the sparge water at temp during the long sparge.

great info thanks! and i believe you are right bobby, im thinking of the third container, usually the highest up, that merely holds water. Im broke so unless i can save up im gonna have to just fill it up and drain a couple times.

Back