Do I have to cold crash to use gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjperry52

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewing a cream ale and was considering using some gelatin finings that I have to clear some of the yeast up and knock it down. Only issue is I do not have the equipment or capacity to cold crash this brew. I’ve seen online that the beer needs to be cold in order for the gelatin to work best, but am curious what your thoughts are. I will be fermenting around 67-68 F and that is the lowest it will be going. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I do believe that the temperature recommended for better clearing is 50 degrees or lower. Others will respond about higher temps as I do not have experience with that.

Only issue is I do not have the equipment or capacity to cold crash this brew. I’ve seen online that the beer needs to be cold in order for the gelatin to work best, but am curious what your thoughts are.

You really should get the beer as cold as possible before doing gelatin. I see you're in MA. Could you put the beer in a cold garage or even outside overnight? I assume it's fairly cold there at night this time of year.

If you can't cold crash, are you bottling, then? My bottles seem to drop clear pretty quickly. I've only ever added gelatin to cold beer but at the very least try it warm and post your results. Cheers!

Yes the beer needs to be cold in order for gelatin to really work. Most beer will clear with time. Gelatin just speeds that up. I actually stopped cold crashing in the fermenter since I keg. I close transfer to the keg, stick the keg in my kegerator for 24 hours and inject the gelatin solution into the keg through the gas in post.

If you can't cold crash, I'd give this a shot. I've heard a lot of good reviews on it and I don't think you need to cold crash. I think cold crashing will enhance this but I think it works without being cold.

If you can't crash and you don't keg, I'd give Biofine a shot!

I close transfer to the keg, stick the keg in my kegerator for 24 hours and inject the gelatin solution into the keg through the gas in post.

That's interesting. Can you describe how you do this injection?

If you can't crash and you don't keg, I'd give Biofine a shot!

I've never used Biofine, but I know one local pro who swears by it. And he does make excellent, and stunningly clear, beers.

That's interesting. Can you describe how you do this injection?

I've never used Biofine, but I know one local pro who swears by it. And he does make excellent, and stunningly clear, beers.

I use these syringes. I have a 2" or so long piece of silicone tubing that fits over the tip of the syringe and the other end of the tubing fits on the gas in quick disconnect fitting. With the whole contraption put together, I pop on the quick disconnect on the keg, inject the gelatin, disconnect the quick disconnect and reconnect the gas. Done. Works great!

And just to reiterate, I'd buy the biofine and give it a shot!

I use these syringes. I have a 2" or so long piece of silicone tubing that fits over the tip of the syringe and the other end of the tubing fits on the gas in quick disconnect fitting. With the whole contraption put together, I pop on the quick disconnect on the keg, inject the gelatin, disconnect the quick disconnect and reconnect the gas. Done. Works great!

With the keg pressurized (assuming it is), do you have to relieve the pressure in order to get the syringe to work?

You don't have to. I usually have about 10psi in the keg when I do it. Just keep your thumb on the back of the syringe as a precaution. And don't disconnect the syringe from the quick disconnect when you're done. Pull the whole quick disconnect off with the syringe still attached.

Perfect - after doing some more research I’ve decided to go with the Biofine. Seems like exactly what I need! Thank you all for the help

You really should get the beer as cold as possible before doing gelatin. I see you're in MA. Could you put the beer in a cold garage or even outside overnight? I assume it's fairly cold there at night this time of year.
Unfortunately I live in a one bedroom apartment in the city with no access to a deck/garage. Makes my homebrews a bit more challenging but it’s a good challenge!

For those of us who bottle, don’t gelatin finings or Biofine cause yeast to drop out, making it unavailable for the corn sugar to eat it and thereby carbonate the beer?

Back